Brownback plan to shift funds to reading draws mixed reviews
Gov. Sam Brownback has proposed a new initiative for some Southeast Kansas school districts, to be funded with $12 million from federal assistance funds aimed at low-income families, in an effort to raise fourth-grade reading scores. How much each district might receive and when is not yet known, but it could be as early as next semester.Continued ...
- 3 To Get Ready
- St. Mary’s church, school awarded $300,000 grant from foundation
- CANCELLATIONS: Organizations postpone parades, events in advance of expected winter storm
- Brownback plan to shift funds to reading draws mixed reviews
Working web site won’t help ‘Obamacare,’ senator says
A working web site will not spell the end for problems with the federal Affordable Health Care Act, U.S. Sen. Roy Blunt told a Joplin crowd on Wednesday.Continued ...
- Neosho City Council prepares for future auction; trucks, welder, generators may be on block
- Webb City school district breaks ground today
- Cloud’s Meats reassures public no contaminated meat was ever sold at retail
- Working web site won’t help ‘Obamacare,’ senator says
- Globe Video
Both MSSU teams enter conference play with 5-1 records
As the MIAA basketball opener approaches, both Missouri Southern basketball teams are on a roll.Continued ...
- Joplin boys basketball ready to run
- Injuries to hurt Joplin's depth in opener
- Prep roundup: Balanced attack propels Carl Junction past Monett
- Both MSSU teams enter conference play with 5-1 records
Stocks struggle as investors weigh economic news
The stock market continued its sluggish start to the month on Wednesday.Continued ...
- Newsweek to start printing again next year
- EU fines global banks $2.3 billion for market rigging
- SPX selling stake in EGS Electric for $571 million
- Stocks struggle as investors weigh economic news
Strain over security zone evident in Biden talks
In a sharp rebuff, China accused Washington on Wednesday of taking Japan’s side in a tense clash over disputed islands in the East China Sea, underscoring rising regional friction as visiting Vice President Joe Biden met with Beijing’s leaders.Continued ...
- At 11th hour, Congress debates plastic gun ban
- NATO seeks clarity on troops in Afghanistan
- Justices won’t hear appeal of NY internet taxation
- Strain over security zone evident in Biden talks
- Death Notices