CARTHAGE, Mo. —
The owners of Cloud’s Meats today issued a statement to reassure the community that no contaminated meat was sold to the public.
“Plant records and tracking methods successfully worked as implemented to not allow the product to enter commerce,” plant manager Andy Cloud said in a statement.
Late Monday, the Missouri Department of Agriculture announced that Cloud’s Meats was voluntarily recalling some beef and pork products that were “possibly contaminated” with a strain of E. coli bacteria after positive test results were found in samples of meat processed on Nov. 14.
In a statement today, representatives of the business said: “During routine testing it was discovered that some meat products produced Nov. 14, 2013, were determined to be contaminated with a new emerging E. coli bacteria. Most importantly, no product was ever sold to the public, and was held in its entirety with the distributor.”
The Department of Agriculture said there was a positive test result for what is known as non-0157 Shiga toxin-producing E. coli (STECs).
According to the statement by Andy Cloud, the bacteria entered the processing operation from livestock delivered to Cloud’s in Carthage. The livestock was owned by a distributer, and processed by Cloud’s Meats and returned to the owners for re-sale.
The name of the distributor has not been released either by Cloud’s or by the state.
“These meat products are not associated in any way with products sold at Cloud’s Meat’s retail stores. The affected products are now under control of Cloud’s Meats under the supervision of Missouri Department of Agriculture,” Cloud’s said in the statement.
According to the Department of Agriculture, Cloud’s voluntarily recalled about 1,450 pounds of meat, including ground beef and pork, sausage and steaks.
The samples were collected during routine testing conducted by the state’s Meat and Poultry Inspection Program and were analyzed at the state’s Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Springfield.
The Missouri Department of Agriculture also confirmed that the products listed for the recall were not distributed for retail sale.