I've never been good at picking the NCAA Tournament. I've never won a pool. Never really been close, actually.
I use my heart too much. I pick the teams I like and against the teams I don't like.
So this year I'm trying something different. I'm giving myself three seconds to pick each game. No research. Just a gut feeling. And random, irrelevant thoughts.
SECOND ROUND (because that's what they call the first round now)
(1) Louisville over (16) does it really matter?
Louisville drubs the winner of North Carolina A&T and Liberty.
(9) Missouri over (8) Colorado State
I know nothing about the Rams. Missourah is very talented.
(12) Oregon over (5) Oklahoma State
A 12 always beats a 5. And Oregon is even better than your typical 12.
(4) Saint Louis over (13) New Mexico State
I saw Saint Louis play in KC ... this means nothing. But the Billikens are pretty dang good.
(6) Memphis over (11) Middle Tennessee or St. Mary's
I'm tempted to pick St. Mary's if the Gaels win the play-in ... but nope.
(3) Michigan State over (14) Valparaiso
Dang, those replays of Bryce Drew hitting the buzzer-beater for Valpo look dated. I'm old. Anyway, Sparty rolls.
(7) Creighton over (10) Cincinnati
Teach me how to Doug(ie) McDermott.
(2) Duke over (15) Albany
Is this Albany, N.Y., we're talking about? Doesn't matter either way.
(1) Gonzaga over (16) Southern
Missouri Southern might have a better shot.
(9) Wichita State at (8) Pittsburgh
I feel like Wichita could be a lot like Tulsa in the sense that I always thought Tulsa sucked until I spent time there. Plus ... WuShock.
(12) Ole Miss over (5) Wisconsin
Another 12-5. Marshall Henderson will probably choke. But I hope not.
(4) Kansas State over (13) Boise State or La Salle
Does the Boise State basketball team play on a blue court? Just checked. Nope. But it is called Taco Bell Arena. Lame.
(6) Arizona over (11) Belmont
Belmont could prove to be a 'Killer B' again ... but probably not.
(3) New Mexico over (14) Harvard
"How do you like them apples?"
(10) Iowa State over (7) Notre Dame
Iowa State deserves some good fortune after that home loss to KU. Notre Dame deserves to lose every game for a decade after their recent uniform choices.
(2) Ohio State over (15) Iona
Wonder how embarrassing it is for Iowa when Iona gets in and the Hawkeyes don't?
(1) Kansas over (16) Western Kentucky
WKU is the Hilltoppers. Lawrence is in the eastern part of Kansas where there are actually some hills. What does that mean? Nothing.
(8) North Carolina over (9) Villanova
Like I'm going to pick against a Roy Williams-Kansas second round matchup.
(5) VCU over (12) Akron
Chances Akron pulls the upset? Zip.
(4) Michigan over (13) South Dakota State
Jackrabbit is a cool mascot, though.
(11) Minnesota over (4) UCLA
Wasn't Minnesota pretty good early on?
(3) Florida over (14) Northwestern State
Covering the MIAA, I'm pretty tired of directional school names.
(10) Oklahoma over (7) San Diego State
The opposite pick if you were to ask me where I wanted to live for the next 10 years.
(2) Georgetown over (15) Florida Gulf Coast
FGC's name makes me think the school is way up near Alabama. Just looked. It's not.
(1) Indiana over (16) teams with crappy abbreviations
LIU Brooklyn or JMU ... doesn't matter
(8) N.C. State over (9) Temple
American Aquarium are one of my favorite bands. They're N.C. State fans.
(12) Cal over (5) UNLV
UNLV nearly lost (81-80 in OT) to a team (Dixie State) that Pitt State beat. Plus, I've been on Cal's campus. It's purty.
(4) Syracuse over (13) Montana
This isn't FCS football, Griz.
(6) Butler over (11) Bucknell
I kinda want to pick the upset ... but BUTLER.
(3) Marquette over (14) Davidson
Marquette has great unis.
(2) Miami over (15) Pacific
Here I am.