A fire late Monday afternoon likely displaced a family from a home in the 1300 block of Langston Hughes-Broadway in Joplin.
Firefighters at the scene said preliminary indications were that a candle was the likely cause of the fire, and that the occupants, including children, had been able to escape without injury.
Authorities blocked off a section of the street, near High Avenue, while the fire was being extinguished. Further details were not available Monday night.
• The cause of a fire Sunday night that caused extensive damage to a house in the 500 block of South Michigan Avenue remained under investigation Monday.
The Joplin Fire Department responded to a report at 10:10 p.m. and discovered the front door and windows of the home in flames. Firefighters had the blaze put out 16 minutes later, but they remained on the scene until almost 1 a.m. Monday.
No injuries were reported. Josephine Waterford was listed as the owner.
- Crime & Courts
Firefighters douse blaze inside wall; no injuries cited
The Joplin Fire Department used thermal-imaging equipment Wednesday night to detect a hidden fire inside a residence.
Exeter resident hurt in accident in Barry County
An Exeter resident was injured in a single-vehicle accident at 2:15 p.m. Thursday on Missouri Highway 76, two miles west of Exeter in Barry County, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Pittsburg couple arrested; children taken out of home
PITTSBURG, Kan. — A Pittsburg couple was arrested and their three children removed from their care Wednesday when narcotics officers allegedly seized marijuana, methamphetamine and other items in a search of their home.
Joplin man arrested on felony charge of past sexual abuse
A 16-year-old girl’s recent disclosures to her mother regarding past sexual abuse has led to the arrest and charging of a Joplin man.
Identity-theft victim jailed on culprit’s warrant
Kurt Millard spent most of last weekend in the Jasper County Jail, locked up on another man’s arrest warrant. The 26-year-old Joplin resident could not convince his jailers they had the wrong guy. “I got the run-around the whole weekend,” Millard told the Globe. “I didn’t even get to wish my mother a happy Mother’s Day.”
Attorney general files suit against California contractor
Attorney General Chris Koster on Thursday filed a lawsuit against a California man, alleging he failed to provide construction materials and home repair services that had been paid for by victims of the Joplin tornado.
Pierce City man hurt in accident in Barry County
A Pierce City man was injured in a single-vehicle accident at 7 a.m. Wednesday on Missouri Highway 248, two miles west of Jenkins in Barry County, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Woman to stand trial on felony count of child abuse
A rural Joplin woman waived her right to a preliminary hearing Wednesday on a felony count of child abuse related to the alleged bruising of her 12-year-old daughter’s buttocks and arms.
Fire destroys garage, two vehicles inside
CARL JUNCTION, Mo. — A Tuesday night fire that destroyed a garage and two vehicles at an address south of Carl Junction may have had an electrical cause.
Worker hit in head with saw blade at construction site
A worker at a construction site in Webb City suffered a severe injury Wednesday when he was struck in the head by a blade from a power saw.
- More Crime & Courts Headlines
- Firefighters douse blaze inside wall; no injuries cited