The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

November 12, 2012

Joplin firefighters respond to two house-fire alarms

By Andra Bryan Stefanoni
news@joplinglobe.com



A fire late Monday afternoon likely displaced a family from a home in the 1300 block of Langston Hughes-Broadway in Joplin.

Firefighters at the scene said preliminary indications were that a candle was the likely cause of the fire, and that the occupants, including children, had been able to escape without injury.

Authorities blocked off a section of the street, near High Avenue, while the fire was being extinguished. Further details were not available Monday night.

• The cause of a fire Sunday night that caused extensive damage to a house in the 500 block of South Michigan Avenue remained under investigation Monday.

The Joplin Fire Department responded to a report at 10:10 p.m. and discovered the front door and windows of the home in flames. Firefighters had the blaze put out 16 minutes later, but they remained on the scene until almost 1 a.m. Monday.

No injuries were reported. Josephine Waterford was listed as the owner.