The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Crime & Courts

June 11, 2013

Cigarette blamed for small fire on apartment balcony

An improperly extinguished cigarette is believed to have started a small fire early Tuesday on the balcony of a Joplin apartment building.

Firefighters responded to a call at 1:19 a.m. reporting a fire at 2002 E. Eighth St. and discovered a small fire on the balcony for the second floor of the two-story apartment building.

Fire Chief Mitch Randles said the fire melted some of the deck and some of the vinyl siding before firefighters could get it extinguished. The fire could be traced to an ashtray on the balcony, he said.

No injuries were reported, Randles said.

1
Text Only
Crime & Courts
Local News
Sports
Facebook
Poll

Missouri's sales tax-free weekend begins Friday. Do you plan purchases around this weekend?

A. Yes.
B. No.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
NDN Video
Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN