The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

June 11, 2013

Cigarette blamed for small fire on apartment balcony


news@joplinglobe.com

— An improperly extinguished cigarette is believed to have started a small fire early Tuesday on the balcony of a Joplin apartment building.

Firefighters responded to a call at 1:19 a.m. reporting a fire at 2002 E. Eighth St. and discovered a small fire on the balcony for the second floor of the two-story apartment building.

Fire Chief Mitch Randles said the fire melted some of the deck and some of the vinyl siding before firefighters could get it extinguished. The fire could be traced to an ashtray on the balcony, he said.

No injuries were reported, Randles said.