The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

March 14, 2013

Fire damages Neosho home; no injuries cited


news@joplinglobe.com



NEOSHO, Mo. — A fire that caused about $9,000 worth of damage to a Neosho home Wednesday morning is believed to have been started by a cigarette discarded in a carport, according to city fire officials.

The Neosho Fire Department responded at 9:53 a.m. to a report of a fire in the 800 block of South High Street. Occupants were home at the time but escaped injury.

The fire destroyed an attached carport and storage shed, a bedroom and a portion of the house’s roofline before firefighters could get it put out. The remainder of the house sustained smoke damage.