The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

December 27, 2012

Fire ravages home on Pearl Avenue


From staff reports

JOPLIN, Mo. — A fire Wednesday afternoon that caused extensive damage to a house at 539 N. Pearl Ave. in Joplin is believed to have been caused by an electrical problem in the attic.

The Joplin Fire Department responded to a 4:13 p.m. report of a fire at the house occupied by Shannon Jagers and owned by Judy Carman.

Keith Stammers, public information officer for the Fire Department, said smoke was coming from the second floor of the residence as firefighters arrived. The fire caused enough damage to render the house uninhabitable, Stammer said. He said the fire is believed to have started with electrical arcing in the attic.

No injuries were reported.