Jasper County authorities made several arrests for alleged manufacturing of methamphetamine when a search warrant was served Tuesday at a residence on Fountain Road and when state child-welfare workers conducted an emergency visit Wednesday at an address on Pumpkin Lane.
The Jasper County Drug Task Force and Joplin narcotics officers took four people into custody on suspicion of manufacturing meth when they served the search warrant on West Fountain Road. Charges had yet to be filed in the case by late Wednesday afternoon. Joplin police said a firearm and some ammunition were seized in addition to drug-related evidence.
Similarly, charges have yet to be filed in the Wednesday morning arrests of two men and a woman by Jasper County sheriff’s deputies on Pumpkin Lane. The Sheriff’s Department said that a “shake-and-bake” meth lab, some finished product, pills, syringes and marijuana were seized at the address, and an 18-month-old child was removed from the home.
Felony drug charges have been filed in the following arrests by Joplin police.
• Brittany E. Dermid, 23, of Neosho, was charged with possession of a controlled substance after an officer stopped two people walking across private property near 31st Street and Indiana Avenue on Saturday and detained them on warrants. Dermid was in alleged possession of an alprazolam pill without a prescription.
• Teresa M. Bettis, 36, 531 S. Kentucky Ave., was charged with possession of a small bag of meth after an arrest early Friday in an alley near E Street and Wall Avenue.
• April L. Patterson, 23, of Miami, Okla., was charged with felony possession when some pills and meth residue allegedly were found Saturday during search of a vehicle after a traffic stop near Seventh Street and Byers Avenue.
• Natasha M. Garrison, 21, and Brandon W. Oakes, 20, both of 905 S. Monroe Ave., were charged with felony possession when two bags of meth allegedly were discovered in a vehicle that was stopped Sunday on West Seventh Street for a license plate violation.
• Gregory A. Dickerson, 50, was charged with manufacturing meth after a consent search of his home Sunday at 2028 S. Byers Ave., Apartment C.
- Crime & Courts
Marionville man hurt in accident in Barry County
A Marionville man suffered serious injuries in a single-vehicle accident at 11:14 a.m. Monday on U.S. Highway 60, two miles east of Monett in Barry County, according to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Fire forces man to jump from balcony
A Joplin resident was forced to jump from an upstairs balcony when his home caught fire Monday night after an explosion.
Shooter in Joplin murder sentenced to life in prison
The teen convicted of being the triggerman in the murder of Jacob Wages was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison with the possibility of parole. At a hearing in Jasper County Circuit Court in Joplin, Circuit Judge Gayle Crane followed a jury’s recommendations in assessing Daniel D. Hartman, 18, two life sentences on convictions for second-degree murder and armed criminal action, and 15 years on a conviction for burglary.
Ex-Jasper teacher’s aide accused of sexual contact with student
A former teacher’s aide at Jasper High School has been charged with having sexual relations with a 16-year-old student and is being investigated for possible sexual contact with other boys at the school. Janice L. Rusk, 43, was arrested Tuesday and charged with second-degree statutory rape and second-degree statutory sodomy following investigations by school officials and law enforcement.
Suspect in assault on officer apprehended in Texas
The U.S. Marshals Service caught up with a suspect in Texas who was wanted in an assault on a Seneca police officer and alleged probation violations in Arkansas. Cody A. Rantz, 25, is being held in Collin County north of Dallas on warrants issued in Missouri and Arkansas. Federal marshals reportedly located the fugitive at a strip mall in Texas on Monday afternoon and took him into custody.
Hartman receives life terms
The teen convicted of being the triggerman in the murder of Jacob Wages was sentenced today to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
Teacher’s aide accused of sexual contact with student
A former teacher’s aide at Jasper High School has been charged with having sexual relations with a 16-year-old student and is being investigated for possible sexual contact with other boys at the school.
Suspect in assault of officer nabbed in Texas
The U.S. Marshals Service caught up with a suspect in Texas on Monday who was wanted in an assault on a Seneca police officer and probation violations in Arkansas.
22-year-old man held on charges in store break-in
PITTSBURG, Kan. — A 22-year-old man is being held on charges stemming from a break-in a month ago at Pitt Discount Liquor in Pittsburg.
Nine arrests made in DWI checkpoint by police in Joplin
Police made nine arrests for alleged drunken driving at a sobriety checkpoint established over the weekend at Seventh Street and Illinois Avenue in Joplin.
- More Crime & Courts Headlines
- Marionville man hurt in accident in Barry County