The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

February 13, 2013

Device malfunctions, prompts evacuation at MSSU building


news@joplinglobe.com



A malfunctioning autoclave in Reynolds Hall at Missouri Southern State University brought the Joplin Fire Department to the campus on Wednesday, according to a university news release.

The autoclave, a piece of equipment that is used to sterilize medical implements, created a large amount of smoke, causing students to be evacuated for a short time.

The Fire Department determined that the smoke resulted from overheated wiring. There was no fire. Students returned to class after the situation was addressed.