The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Crime & Courts

July 29, 2013

Candle blamed for house fire; no injuries cited

A house fire Monday morning in Joplin is believed to have been caused by a candle, city fire officials said.

The Joplin Fire Department responded at 6:36 a.m. to a call reporting a fire in the 2100 block of East Manitou Street. Firefighters extinguished the flames in the single-story home and ventilated it.

Keith Stammer, public information officer for the department, said no injuries were reported. He said the residence owned by Doug and Claudia Russow, of Grove, Okla., was occupied by Linda Smith. Stammer said the fire was determined to have started with a candle and to have been accidental.

1
Text Only
Crime & Courts
Local News
Sports
Facebook
Poll

Missouri's sales tax-free weekend begins Friday. Do you plan purchases around this weekend?

A. Yes.
B. No.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
NDN Video
Couple Channel Grief Into Soldiers' Retreat WWI Aviation Still Alive at Aerodrome in NY Raw: Rescuers at Taiwan Explosion Scene Raw: Woman Who Faced Death Over Faith in N.H. Clinton Before 9-11: Could Have Killed Bin Laden Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN