The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

December 27, 2012

Fire Wednesday evening leaves home uninhabitable


From staff reports

JOPLIN, Mo. — An electrical fire Wednesday evening left a residence at 319 W. 14th St. uninhabitable, according to the Joplin Fire Department. Five adults and three children escaped unharmed.

Firefighters responded to the structure fire at 6:16 p.m. Wednesday to find smoke and flames coming from the second floor of a two-story residence. The fire was extinguished and crews remained on scene until after 11 p.m.

Fire and smoke damage was severe, the fire department reported in a statement this morning.

No information on home ownership is yet available.

The American Red Cross was called in to provide assistance for those who were living in the home.