The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Crime & Courts

February 13, 2014

Laundry room origin of fire at Miami house

MIAMI, Okla. — A Wednesday night fire that caused extensive damage to a home in Miami is believed to have started in a laundry room.

The Miami Fire Department responded to a 7:45 p.m. report of smoke in a neighborhood on the north side of town and traced it to a single-story house occupied by Clint Howard in the 400 block of 13th Street Northwest.

Capt. Robert Wright said the occupants had started a washing machine and left the house before the fire broke out and spread from the laundry room into the attic. Firefighters confined fire damage to the laundry room and the attic, but there was heat and smoke damage throughout the house, Wright said.

No injuries were reported.

1
Text Only
Crime & Courts
Local News
Sports
Facebook
Poll

Missouri's sales tax-free weekend begins Friday. Do you plan purchases around this weekend?

A. Yes.
B. No.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
NDN Video
Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN