The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Crime & Courts

June 13, 2013

Candle blamed in fire at Miami home

MIAMI, Okla. — A candle that was left burning in a bathroom is believed to have started a fire Tuesday morning that caused about $20,000 worth of damage to a house in Miami.

Miami firefighters were called at 9:40 a.m. to the 400 block of 14th Avenue Northwest, where a fire had started in a single-story residence occupied by John Clarke.

Lt. Mike Bolton of the Miami Fire Department said heavy smoke was coming from the house when firefighters arrived. The occupants managed to escape the residence on their own without any injuries, he said.

The fire spread from a bathroom into a hallway, utility room and back bedroom before firefighters put it out.

1
Text Only
Crime & Courts
Local News
Sports
Facebook
Poll

Would you use a community safe room when the area is under a tornado warning?

Yes.
No.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
NDN Video
Deadly Avalanche Sweeps Slopes of Mount Everest Police Arrest Suspect in Highway Shootings Drought Concerns May Hurt Lake Tourism Vermont Goat Meat Gives Refugees Taste of Home Calif. Investigators Re-construct Fatal Bus Cras Mayor Rob Ford Launches Re-election Campaign Appellate Court Hears Okla. Gay Marriage Case Author Gabriel Garcia Marquez Dead at 87 Beau Biden Plans 2016 Run for Del. Governor Chelsea Clinton Is Pregnant Horseless Carriage Introduced at NY Auto Show Obama Hopeful on Ukraine, Will Watch Russians Flamingo Frenzy Ahead of Zoo Construction Crew Criticized Over Handling of Ferry Disaster Agreement Reached to Calm Ukraine Tensions Raw: Pope Francis Performs Pre-easter Ritual Boston Bombing Survivors One Year Later Sister of Slain MIT Officer Reflects on Bombing