The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

June 13, 2013

Candle blamed in fire at Miami home


news@joplinglobe.com

— MIAMI, Okla. — A candle that was left burning in a bathroom is believed to have started a fire Tuesday morning that caused about $20,000 worth of damage to a house in Miami.

Miami firefighters were called at 9:40 a.m. to the 400 block of 14th Avenue Northwest, where a fire had started in a single-story residence occupied by John Clarke.

Lt. Mike Bolton of the Miami Fire Department said heavy smoke was coming from the house when firefighters arrived. The occupants managed to escape the residence on their own without any injuries, he said.

The fire spread from a bathroom into a hallway, utility room and back bedroom before firefighters put it out.