The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Crime & Courts

January 21, 2013

Electric heater blamed for fire



MIAMI, Okla. — A portable electric heater is believed to have touched off a fire Monday morning that damaged a house in Miami.

Firefighters responding at 7:30 a.m. to a call on A Street Northwest encountered fire and smoke coming from the second floor of a two-story house occupied by the Paul Schell family. No injuries were reported.

Capt. Kyle Highsmith of the Miami Fire Department said firefighters confined the blaze to the bedroom of origin, but there was extensive smoke damage to the home. Highsmith said the occupants were gone and returned home to find the fire in progress.

He said firefighters found an electric heater overturned in the bedroom that is believed to have started the fire.

1
Text Only
Crime & Courts
Local News
Sports
Facebook
Poll

Given that the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that electronic devices and communications are protected from searches and seizure without a warrant, do you think Missouri needs Amendment 9 added to its constitution?

A. Yes.
B. No.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
NDN Video
Kerry: Humanitarian Cease-fire Efforts Continue Raw: Corruption Trial Begins for Former Va Gov. The Carbon Trap: US Exports Global Warming UN Security Council Calls for Gaza Cease-fire Traditional African Dishes Teach Healthy Eating 13 Struck by Lightning on Calif. Beach Baseball Hall of Famers Inducted Israel, Hamas Trade Fire Despite Truce in Gaza Italy's Nibali Set to Win First Tour De France Raw: Shipwrecked Concordia Completes Last Voyage Raw: Sea Turtle Hatchlings Emerge From Nest Raw: Massive Dust Storm Covers Phoenix 12-hour Cease-fire in Gaza Fighting Begins Raw: Bolivian Dancers Attempt to Break Record Raw: Israel, Palestine Supporters Rally in US Raw: Air Algerie Flight 5017 Wreckage Virginia Governor Tours Tornado Aftermath Judge Faces Heat Over Offer to Help Migrant Kids Kangaroo Goes Missing in Oklahoma More M17 Bodies Return, Sanctions on Russia Grow