The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

January 21, 2013

Electric heater blamed for fire


news@joplinglobe.com



MIAMI, Okla. — A portable electric heater is believed to have touched off a fire Monday morning that damaged a house in Miami.

Firefighters responding at 7:30 a.m. to a call on A Street Northwest encountered fire and smoke coming from the second floor of a two-story house occupied by the Paul Schell family. No injuries were reported.

Capt. Kyle Highsmith of the Miami Fire Department said firefighters confined the blaze to the bedroom of origin, but there was extensive smoke damage to the home. Highsmith said the occupants were gone and returned home to find the fire in progress.

He said firefighters found an electric heater overturned in the bedroom that is believed to have started the fire.