The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

July 29, 2013

No injuries reported in early morning house fire


From staff reports

JOPLIN, Mo. — A house fire this morning in Joplin is believed to have been caused by improper use of a candle, city fire officials said.

The Joplin Fire Department responded to a 6:36 a.m. call reporting a fire at 2156 E. Manitou St. and found a single-story residence heavily involved in fire. Firefighters extinguished the flames and ventilated the home.

Keith Stammer, public information officer for the Fire Department, said no injuries were reported. He said the residence owned by Doug and Claudia Russow, of Grove, Okla., was occupied by Linda Smith. Stammer said the fire was determined to have started with a candle and to have been accidental.