The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Crime & Courts

January 21, 2013

Fire damages Joplin home



A basement fire that resulted in extensive smoke damage to a Joplin residence Monday afternoon appeared to have started among materials left too close to the base of a water heater, according to the Joplin Fire Department.

Firefighters were called at 12:01 p.m. to the 1600 block of South Jackson Avenue, where they discovered smoke emanating from the roof of the two-story house.

Keith Stammer, public information officer for the Fire Department, said a crew that entered the house discovered a fire at the bottom of some basement stairs. The flames were extinguished, and fire damage was confined to the basement, Stammer said. There was smoke damage throughout the house, he said.

No injuries were reported.

Stammer said radiant heat is believed to have ignited items stored too close to a water heater.

1
Text Only
Crime & Courts
Local News
Sports
Facebook
Poll

How do you plan to vote on Missouri's Amendment 5 on the Aug. 5 ballot?

A. For it.
B. Against it.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
NDN Video
Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN Raw: Deadly Landslide Hits Indian Village Obama Chides House GOP for Pursuing Lawsuit New Bill Aims to Curb Sexual Assault on Campus Russia Counts Cost of New US, EU Sanctions 3Doodler Bring 3-D Printing to Your Hand Six PA Cops Indicted for Robbing Drug Dealers Britain Testing Driverless Cars on Roadways Raw: Thousands Flocking to German Crop Circle At Least 20 Chikungunya Cases in New Jersey Raw: Obama Eats Ribs in Kansas City In Virginia, the Rise of a New Space Coast Raw: Otters Enjoy Water Slides at Japan Zoo NCAA Settles Head-injury Suit, Will Change Rules Raw: Amphibious Landing Practice in Hawaii Raw: Weapons Fire Hits UN School in Gaza Raw: Rocket Launches Into Space With Cargo Ship Broken Water Main Floods UCLA