The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

January 21, 2013

Fire damages Joplin home


news@joplinglobe.com



A basement fire that resulted in extensive smoke damage to a Joplin residence Monday afternoon appeared to have started among materials left too close to the base of a water heater, according to the Joplin Fire Department.

Firefighters were called at 12:01 p.m. to the 1600 block of South Jackson Avenue, where they discovered smoke emanating from the roof of the two-story house.

Keith Stammer, public information officer for the Fire Department, said a crew that entered the house discovered a fire at the bottom of some basement stairs. The flames were extinguished, and fire damage was confined to the basement, Stammer said. There was smoke damage throughout the house, he said.

No injuries were reported.

Stammer said radiant heat is believed to have ignited items stored too close to a water heater.