The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Crime & Courts

February 28, 2013

Wiring blamed for Joplin fire; no injuries cited



Worn electrical wiring produced a fire scare Wednesday night inside a home in the 3000 block of South Moffet Avenue in Joplin.

Firefighters responded at 6:35 p.m. to a report of smoke inside the home of Adam Hoofnagle.

A thermal-imaging camera was used to locate a hot spot in a ceiling, according to Keith Stammer, the Fire Department’s public information officer. The crew pulled down the ceiling and put out a fire in a ceiling joist, Stammer said in a news release.

No injuries were reported.

Stammer said the cause of the fire was determined to have been worn bare wiring near a junction box, which led to an electrical overload.

1
Text Only
Crime & Courts
Local News
Sports
Facebook
Poll

Missouri's sales tax-free weekend begins Friday. Do you plan purchases around this weekend?

A. Yes.
B. No.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
NDN Video
Couple Channel Grief Into Soldiers' Retreat WWI Aviation Still Alive at Aerodrome in NY Raw: Rescuers at Taiwan Explosion Scene Raw: Woman Who Faced Death Over Faith in N.H. Clinton Before 9-11: Could Have Killed Bin Laden Netanyahu Vows to Destroy Hamas Tunnels Obama Slams Republicans Over Lawsuit House Leaders Trade Blame for Inaction Malaysian PM: Stop Fighting in Ukraine Cantor Warns of Instability, Terror in Farewell Ravens' Ray Rice: 'I Made a Huge Mistake' Florida Panther Rebound Upsets Ranchers Small Plane Crash in San Diego Parking Lot Busy Franco's Not Afraid of Overexposure Fighting Blocks Access to Ukraine Crash Site Dangerous Bacteria Kills One in Florida Workers Dig for Survivors After India Landslide Texas Scientists Study Ebola Virus Smartphone Powered Paper Plane Debuts at Airshow Southern Accent Reduction Class Cancelled in TN