The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

February 28, 2013

Wiring blamed for Joplin fire; no injuries cited


news@joplinglobe.com



Worn electrical wiring produced a fire scare Wednesday night inside a home in the 3000 block of South Moffet Avenue in Joplin.

Firefighters responded at 6:35 p.m. to a report of smoke inside the home of Adam Hoofnagle.

A thermal-imaging camera was used to locate a hot spot in a ceiling, according to Keith Stammer, the Fire Department’s public information officer. The crew pulled down the ceiling and put out a fire in a ceiling joist, Stammer said in a news release.

No injuries were reported.

Stammer said the cause of the fire was determined to have been worn bare wiring near a junction box, which led to an electrical overload.