JOPLIN, Mo. —
OK, "House of Cards." I apologize. I neglected you long enough, but I'm glad I finally caught up.
I didn't think much of the Netflix original series when it first debuted earlier this year. But I'm glad I checked it out Ñ Kevin Spacey as Congressman Frank Underwood raises the bar of how likable an antihero can be.
I'll write more about the show later. For now, it was one of many things I geeked out about this year.
Out of curiosity, I went back through my social networks to figure out what else there was. According to my feeds, 2013 was a year filled with thoughts about fried pickles, hashtags, TV shows I loved watching and commentary about journalism.
Here's a few highlights I culled, in no particular order (it includes none of my New Orleans Saints gameday tweets, of which there are dozens. You're welcome):
- From June: "Getting ready to interview Huey Lewis. My inner sixth-grader is freaking out. Like, totally!"
- From sharing a Buzzfeed post that shared "British-ized" NFL logos: "Whom are they who declare they shall defeat the New Orleans Quality Marching Fellows? Whom are they? Whom are they? Surely not the Atlanta Swoopy Little Blighters, the Kansas City Cheeky Chaps or the Dallas Yankee Tossers?"
- From June: "Weirdness. Just watched a movie featuring Sean Bean where his character didn't die a horrible death."
- From December: "Entertainment journalists: Nominations are nominations, not 'noms.' Noms are food."
- My stepson introduced me to Macklemore in February, and that led me to suspect I may not be the best parent in Joplin. Or, I may be the most awesome parent in Joplin. Jury's still out, frankly.
- From February: "Name a city in America that doesn't have the letters a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y or z. It's trickier than it looks!" No one has solved it yet.
- Hashtags became functional on Facebook in June. But I ranted about hashtags all year.
- From November: "I know y'all hunt to feed your families, but you're feeding them deer, a bad-tasting, gamey animal. That's why when I go hunting to feed my family, I hunt cows." My friends reacted by getting all insulted about me slamming the taste of deer, and completely ignored the bit about hunting cows. Punks.
- From October: "Here's a thing you should know about me: If I call you about a story and ask you for a quote, and you say it's not really a story, then I automatically know that IT IS A STORY."
- Danielle Colby's quote about a "supernova of awesome s***storm" was ranked as the best quote of 2013 in April, and never got topped.
- Also never topped: Stepson Mitchell's discovery of Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue. Best ribs all year.
- From July: "Great moments in journalism: I had to check the dictionary for the proper spelling of tighty-whities. It's 'tighty-whities.'"
- Instant Karma needs more fried pickle entrees. Every time I got one I took a bazillion pictures.
- From September: "Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom fried pickle dog nom nom nom nom nom Instant Karma Gourmet Hot Dogs nom nom nom nom nom I got two nom nom nom no pics cuz I ain't sharin' nom nom nom nom nom." OK, so I didn't take pictures EVERY time.
- From August: "Today I got to tell a source, 'Come at me, bro!' That has to be on some bucket list of journalism somewhere."
- From October: "Last night I watched American Horror Story, then "Teen Witch." It was like eating a ghost pepper, then eating a peppermint patty."
- From September: "'I'm not just crushin' it, I'm CANDY crushin' it!' There. Just thought of something no one has ever said."