The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Local News

April 20, 2014

Last two safe room projects up for Joplin School Board approval

JOPLIN, Mo. — The Joplin Board of Education during its meeting tonight will consider more than $2.4 million in bid packages for safe rooms at Columbia and West Central elementary schools.

The bid packages — for items such as structural steel, masonry, flooring and electrical work — represent a majority of construction work to be completed for the two projects, which are the last of the school district’s safe rooms to get under way.

Three-fourths of the costs will be paid by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, with the remaining costs to be covered by the school district or other grants.

Five community safe rooms at Cecil Floyd, Stapleton, Eastmorland and McKinley elementary schools and Junge Field will be the first to open, perhaps as early as this month.

In other business, the board will:

• Consider a $750,000 bid package for bleachers and grandstands at Joplin High School.

• Consider a $19,412 bid from Springfield Janitor Supply for floor wax, sealer and stripper, and a $23,240 bid from Joplin Roofing to replace the roof at the food service warehouse.

• Consider a $20,758 bid from Tigerdirect.com for computer information systems equipment, and a bid of $61,176 from Lincoln for welding equipment for students at Franklin Technology Center. State grants will cover 75 percent of the costs, with the district paying the remaining 25 percent.

• Consider paying $21,686 to AP Services for the 281 Advanced Placement tests that will be taken by 163 Joplin High School students this spring.

• Consider declaring as surplus property the house built by Franklin Tech students at 2425 S. Grand Ave.

• Consider an $18,066 bid from i3 for telephony systems and a $24,700 bid from Apple for Apple TVs.

• Approve the 2014-15 school calendar.

• Hear a report from a board committee that formed earlier this year to look at naming and sponsorship opportunities within the district.

• Swear in newly elected members Lynda Banwart, Debbie Fort and incumbent Randy Steele.

• Elect a president and vice president.

Meeting details

THE JOPLIN BOARD OF EDUCATION will meet for a work session at 5:30 p.m. and for its regular meeting at 7 p.m. today at the administration building, 3901 E. 32nd St. The board also has scheduled a closed session, and the agenda cites all open-meeting exemptions, which are the discussion of legal and real estate matters, personnel issues and individually identifiable records.

1
Text Only
Local News
Must Read
Sports
Photos


Facebook
Poll

How do you plan to vote on Missouri's Amendment 5 on the Aug. 5 ballot?

A. For it.
B. Against it.
     View Results
Opinion
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter