From staff reports
CARL JUNCTION, Mo. —
Police and school officials were issuing statements Wednesday night aimed at assuring parents and students that there was not anything to a rumor of a school threat.
Police Chief Delmar Haase said Wednesday night he was telling parents that there was “no reason not to send children to school as scheduled.”
The school district had posted on its Facebook page that a “safety concern about a high school student bringing a gun to school has been addressed and there is no longer a threat to student safety. The student will not be at school tomorrow (Thursday) and our schools will be safe.”
Haase said the rumor apparently began to circulate after police arrested a juvenile at the high school for investigation about possible threats at school. He said the juvenile was a male but declined to specify his age.
He said the youth was turned over to juvenile court authorities, who would decide on possible charges and custody considerations.
After the arrest was made, Haase said, police to began to receive phone calls “about postings on Facebook telling parents not send their children to school (today) because there was a planned attack of the school.”
He said the investigation found absolutely no evidence of any kind of threat to any Carl Junction school.
Haase’s statement cited that his department has increased patrols at the schools in the wake of the school shooting last week in Connecticut and will continue the practice.
To illustrate his confidence in the safety of the schools today, he said his “own children and grandchildren” would be among those attending classes as usual.