The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Local News

March 18, 2014

Murder trial under way in McDonald County

PINEVILLE, Mo. — The murder trial of Boyd Marcum began Tuesday with attorneys offering differing takes on the mix of competing friendships, resentment, desire and jealousy that led to the slaying of Kevin Anderson.

The fact that Marcum, 30, stabbed Anderson, 29, in the chest with a pocketknife the night of Sept. 30 is not at issue. Whether it was self-defense is.

The slaying took place in the home of Megan Banks and Craig Ruble at 508 Fourth St. in Anderson.

Marcum, his wife, Ashley, and their three children had been staying with Banks and Ruble for a week or more while trying to get back on their feet financially. Anderson, a close friend of Ruble’s, had shown up the previous night and obtained permission to crash on a mattress in the couple’s garage.

Prosecutor Jonathan Pierce told jurors during opening statements that the following night, Banks, Ruble and Anderson were sitting at a table outside the house, and the subject arose that the Marcums had overstayed their welcome. Pierce said Anderson offered to tell them it was time they moved on.

He said the defendant did not like being told that by Anderson. He liked it even less when Anderson began flirting with his wife and another woman, Brittany Wilkens, that night, the prosecutor said. The flirtation even went so far as both women giving Anderson their underwear, Pierce told the jury.

Later, Wilkens, Boyd Marcum and Anderson were in the garage together, and Ruble came out to offer some marijuana to smoke. He came upon Marcum and Wilkens in a clinch, the prosecutor said.

“He’ll tell you they were groping each other, had some type of relationship, even though his wife was there in the house,” Pierce said.

He said those were among the events of the night leading up to the fight in the living room between the defendant and Anderson that claimed Anderson’s life.

Public defender Marshall Miller cast the night’s events in a decidedly different light. He said the evidence will show that Anderson was drinking heavily and later tested for a blood-alcohol content more twice the legal threshold for drunken driving in Missouri.

He said testimony will show that Anderson had made comments that he had not had sex since a split-up with his wife several months previously and that he focused his desire on Wilkens that night.

“She herself will tell you she became less receptive to his advances the more drunk he got and the more touchy he got,” Miller told jurors.

He said Wilkens went inside the house with Marcum, leaving Anderson in the garage to get away from him. But Anderson came after them, yelling at Marcum, who he perceived as getting in the way of his pursuit of Wilkens, Miller said.

All three witnesses who saw what happened in the living room will testify that Anderson attacked Marcum, grabbing him by the throat, Miller said. Ashley Marcum and Wilkens were yelling at Anderson to stop, he said. But Anderson kept choking Marcum, “to the point where Boyd was losing face color and couldn’t breathe,” Miller said. He said his client then pulled out his pocketknife and stabbed Anderson once in the chest.

“That’s all you’re going to hear; there’s only one,” Miller said of the slain man’s wounds.

Text Only
Local News
Must Read


Missouri's sales tax-free weekend begins Friday. Do you plan purchases around this weekend?

A. Yes.
B. No.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter