The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

April 29, 2012

Seats open on eight Joplin boards, commissions

By Debby Woodin
Globe Staff Writer

JOPLIN, Mo. — Applications are being taken by the city of Joplin for volunteers to fill openings on eight of the city’s board and commissions.

A five-year term is available on the Board of Adjustment, which meets at 11 a.m. on the third Friday of each month at City Hall. The board hears requests for variances on setbacks and other code requirements.

A physician or veterinarian licensed to practice in Missouri is needed to fill a seat on the Health Board. The board meets quarterly at the Joplin Health Department, 321 E. Fourth St. A three-year term is open.

Representatives of the hospitality industry are eligible to serve a three-year term on the Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board. It meets at 3 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month in the basement conference room at City Hall.

A seat is available for a downtown business or property owner for a four-year term on the Design Review Standards Commission. It meets at 3:30 p.m. on the second Thursday of the month at City Hall. The commission decides if facade and sign changes to buildings in the downtown historic district meet city guidelines.

The Enhanced Enterprise Zone Commission has a seat open for a person interested in business and industry expansion. It is a five-year term. The commission meets on call at City Hall. The panel, which also involves representatives of taxing entities such as the city and the school district, decides requests for enhanced enterprise zone tax credits.

A three-year term is open on the Joplin Redevelopment Corp., which meets as needed at City Hall to discuss city proposals or issues that involve blight and economic development.

There is an opening on the Police and Firemen’s Pension board. A two-year term is to be filled. The board meets at 8:30 a.m. on the third Thursday of the month on the third floor of City Hall.

The Tax Increment Financing Commission has an open four-year term. The commission meets as needed to discuss tax incentives available for retail development projects in Joplin. To be eligible, a person must be a registered voter.

People who live outside Joplin are eligible to serve on the redevelopment corporation, the TIF commission and the convention board.

People interested in serving may file an application with the city clerk’s office online on the city’s website at

City Clerk Barbara Hogelin said applications also can be mailed or faxed.

The City Council makes the appointments.


The Joplin city clerk’s office can be reached in regard to board applications at 417-624-0820, ext. 220.