The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Local News

July 19, 2013

Applications sought for city boards; openings exist on nine panels

Volunteers are being sought to serve on several city of Joplin boards and commissions.

There are openings on nine boards. Most require that a member be a qualified voter.

Vacancies exist on the following:

• ADA Accessibility Committee meets quarterly to advise city officials on compliance with the Americans With Disabilities Act.

• Board of Adjustment meets the third Friday of each month. It grants variances on regulations for zoning, historic preservation, signs, mobile homes, flood plain management, and hears appeals of decisions by the building and planning departments.

• Building Board of Appeals meets the fourth Friday of the month, but has been meeting at least twice a month because of the volume of tornado-affected properties.

• Capital Improvement and Public Safety Sales Tax Oversight Committee meets quarterly to review adherence to projects tied to city capital improvements and public safety sales taxes.

• Convention and Visitors Advisory Board meets on the third Tuesday of the month to promote tourism, conventions and related activities.

• Joplin Industrial Development Authority meets on call to help develop industrial and economic development projects. Members are required to be a qualified voter and resident for five years prior to appointment.

• Planning and Zoning Commission meets the second Monday of each month to make recommendations to the City Council on zoning and land-use requests.

• Solid Waste Advisory Commission meets quarterly to make recommendations to city administrators and the City Council on the collection, storage and disposal of solid waste.

• Traffic Commission meets the second Thursday of odd-numbered months to make recommendations to the council on traffic matters such as speed limits, placement of signals and signs, parking and traffic flow.

Most of the positions have terms of three years, except the Joplin Industrial Development Authority, which is six years, and the Board of Adjustment, which is five years. All of the boards meet at City Hall, 602 S. Main St.

Further information about the boards or their terms may be obtained from City Clerk Barbara Hogelin at 624-O820, ext. 220. She also can provide applications, or the applications are available on the city’s website at

No pay involved

No city board members are paid for their service.


Text Only
Local News
Must Read


How do you plan to vote on Missouri's Amendment 5 on the Aug. 5 ballot?

A. For it.
B. Against it.
     View Results
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter