SLIDESHOW: Restoring historic KCS Engine No. 1023
Work is underway on the restoration of Kansas City Southern Engine No. 1023, thought to be the last known surviving KCS steam engine. On Thursday it was sandblasted, and on Friday workers began applying primer. Next week they will paint the engine, and then work will begin on adding restored or fabricated parts to replace those that were vandalized, lost or crumbling. Built in 1906, the engine had been on static display at Pittsburg's Schlanger Park since 1955. Last September, it was moved to the historic Carona Depot in Carona, Kan.
- SLIDESHOW: Newton County Youth Fair The Newton County Youth Fair is underway at the Neosho A&M Fairgrounds and will go through Saturday.
- SLIDESHOW: Blueberry season is in full swing Area residents find blueberry season in full swing.
- SLIDESHOW: Exploring Alaska A trip up the Inside Passage offers hiking trails, bays for kayaking, lakes for paddling, glaciers for exploring, waterfalls to stand beside and plenty of Alaskan wildlife sightings, from bald eagles to whales.
- SLIDESHOW: Moshe Safdie tours Crystal Bridges Museum International architect Moshe Safdie who designed Crystal Bridges Museum toured the museum's exhibit showcasing his work titled: “Global Citizen: The Architecture of Moshe Safdie.”
- SLIDESHOW: Chicken Annie's to celebrate its 80th birthday Chicken Annie's restaurant has been part of life in Southeast Kansas for 80 years.
- SLIDESHOW: Historic Murphysburg Homeowners in Joplin’s only residential historic district are working to get national designation for the area.
- SLIDESHOW: National World War I Museum in Kansas City The National World War I Museum in Kansas City puts into context the people and events surrounding what was known as the Great War.
- SLIDESHOW: Explore Oklahoma City Oklahoma City celebrates its Native American and cowboy heritage with museums and a working cattle industry.
- SLIDESHOW: Joplin High School Graduation 2014 Families and friends watched the graduation ceremonies of the Joplin High School Class of 2014 at MSSU's Leggett & Platt Athletic Center on Sunday.
- SLIDESHOW: JHS seniors' well-wishes Joplin seniors left messages of hope and advice for future students on the concrete floor of the new high school.