SLIDESHOW: Restoring historic KCS Engine No. 1023
Work is underway on the restoration of Kansas City Southern Engine No. 1023, thought to be the last known surviving KCS steam engine. On Thursday it was sandblasted, and on Friday workers began applying primer. Next week they will paint the engine, and then work will begin on adding restored or fabricated parts to replace those that were vandalized, lost or crumbling. Built in 1906, the engine had been on static display at Pittsburg's Schlanger Park since 1955. Last September, it was moved to the historic Carona Depot in Carona, Kan.
- SLIDESHOW: Missouri football playoffs Globe photographers covered Webb City, Jasper and Seneca games in the second round of Missouri playoffs.
- SLIDESHOW: Missouri football playoffs begin Globe photographers covered games in Carl Junction, Webb City and Jasper as the district playoffs begin.
- SLIDESHOW: Friday Night Lights Globe photographers covered McAuley Catholic, Webb City and Carl Junction games this week.
- SLIDESHOW: Elk River fish study The Missouri Department of Conservation conducted a study on the Elk River in McDonald County to monitor fish populations and habitat.
- SLIDESHOW: Friday Night Lights Globe photographers covered games in Joplin and Carthage this Friday night.
- SLIDESHOW: Mother Road Marathon 2013 A slide show of the Mother Road Marathon 2013.
- SLIDESHOW: Friday Night Lights Globe photographers focused on Missouri and Kansas contests this week.
- SLIDESHOW: Community Clinic Joplin's Community Clinic marks its 20th year serving the uninsured.
- SLIDESHOW: Friday night lights Football games in Joplin, Webb City, Galena and Riverton are highlighted this Friday.
- SLIDESHOW: Baxter Springs Civil War reenactment Organizers planned for the past year and arranged for living history reenactors who set up encampments near the Baxter Springs Heritage Museum and the nearby site of Fort Blair. Students visited on Friday to learn about Civil War history.