It’s tournament time.
Several midseason high school basketball tournaments tip off today, while several others will continue action.
The Joplin boys basketball team faces Topeka Shawnee Heights in the first round of the Ralph Miller Classic at 4:45 p.m. today in Chanute, Kan. Joplin is the only non-Kansas team in a field that includes Olathe North, Andover Central, Shawnee Mission North, Goddard, Chanute and Emporia.
The Carl Junction Boys Classic will be a round-robin beginning today. Pittsburg faces Blue Springs at 5:30 p.m., followed by Carl Junction and Seneca at 7 p.m.
The Frontenac Kansas Army National Guard Invitational tips off today with tournaments for boys and girls.
In the boys’ bracket, unbeaten Riverton received the top seed and will face Fort Scott at 5:30 p.m. The other teams in the boys’ field are Winfield, McDonald County, Prairie View, Nevada, Oklahoma City Douglass and Frontenac.
Webb City will be the No. 4 seed in a competitive girls bracket at Frontenac. The Cardinals face Kansas City Hogan at 5:30 p.m. today in the old gym. The rest of the field includes Oklahoma City Classen, Baxter Springs, Frontenac, Prairie View, Blue Valley Southwest and Fort Scott.
A total of 48 teams — three eight-team divisions for boys and girls — are entered in the 69th NEO High School basketball tournament in Miami, Okla.
Games begin today at noon at four sites — the fieldhouse and Student Activity Center on the NEO campus, the Miami Activity Center on the Miami High School campus and the Miami Civic Center, which is located on A Street.
Six games are scheduled at each gymnasium, with the final contest slated for a 7:30 p.m. start.
Webb City is in the Boys Gold Division and faces Tulsa Will Rogers today at 3 p.m. Other division games include Monett vs. Roland and Miami vs. Guthrie, both at 7:30.
Other area teams in the field, by division:
Boys Blue — Diamond, Afton, Southwest, Wyandotte, Commerce, Chetopa;
Boys Norse — Bluejacket, Welch, Quapaw, Fairland;
Girls Blue — Quapaw, Afton, Diamond, Wyandotte, Southwest;
Girls Gold — Miami;
Girls Norse: Fairland, Chetopa, Commerce, Welch, Bluejacket.
Second-round games — winners’ bracket and consolation bracket — will be played on Friday, and championship and third-place games are scheduled for Saturday.
It’s tournament time.
- High School Sports
- Missouri Southern Sports
- Missouri Southern basketball teams set schedules
- Missouri Southern's Phillips nominated for Good Works team
- Former MSSU runner qualifies for marathon trials
- Moon hits his first two professional homers in win
- BLOG: Missouri Southern's Logan Moon on hit streak
- Pittsburg State Sports
- PSU product Stalcup pitches gem for Beloit
- Pittsburg State hires former Bearcat as strength coach
- Pittsburg State's Brown, Ginn add speed to Arizona
- Missouri Southern, Pittsburg State to be featured on MIAA TV
- Lizzy Jeronimus wins Ken B. Jones Award; Gammon, Broyles enter MIAA Hall of Fame
Seven-run inning lifts Joplin Legion to victory
A seven-run second inning lifted the Joplin Miners past Springfield Hillcrest 9-6 in the Missouri American Legion Triple-A Zone 3 Tournament on Thursday night.Continued ...
- Webb City softball falls short of World Series
- Former major leaguer McElroy enjoys watching sons progress in baseball
- Power outage at Joe Becker forces schedule changes
- Razorbacks assistant golf coach looks to defend Twin Hills title
- Seven-run inning lifts Joplin Legion to victory