How about those Keeters?
It was a good night Saturday for stock car drivers from Joplin and Webb City at Springfield Raceway.
Craig Keeter and son Mitch, both from Webb City, captured main events in Midwest Modz and USRA modified at the quarter-mile dirt track.
The Drakes, dad Scott and son Trevor, pulled off the feat in USRA B modified and Midwest Modz, respectively, earlier in the season at Springfield.
This Saturday night, in fact, Scott Drake won the USRA B modified main event and Craig Keeter beat Trevor Drake in the Midwest Modz A feature. Joplin’s Ryan Hendrix finished runner-up to Scott Drake.
Joplin drivers Justin Comer and Park Jones finished 1-2 in the Legends Cars main event. Billy Cottrill, also from Joplin, and Caleb McDugle, Quapaw, were fourth and fifth, respectively.
Miami drivers Brett Testerman and Tyler Thulin placed 1-2 in the pure stock A feature.
Completing the A feature winners on the regular weekly program was Bob Maggard Sr. in street stock. Maggard is from Brighton near Springfield.
New Zealander Michael Pickens won the POWRi Lucas Oil National/West Midget Series special. He beat Rico Abreu in the 30-lapper.
Carl Junction’s Andrew Felker and Springfield’s Pat Schudy were eighth and 13th, respectively, in the A feature.
Pickens made it 4-for-4 — all at different tracks — in the past two years in the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series.
“We backed up what we did last year,” Pickens, a four-time national champion in New Zealand, told Tim Tuttle (media director of POWRi Racing). “The race was about tire management and not burning them up. You have to be thinking all the time.”
Abreu, who started 13th, is 20 and from Rutherford, Calif. Blake Hahn, 17, from Sapulpa, Okla., was third.
MONETT, Mo. — Justin Wells, Aurora, won the DLRA late model main event on Sunday night at the 3/8-mile clay oval.
Ken Essary, Cape Fair, and Joplin’s Chuck Comer finished behind Wells in the Race Brothers-sponsored event.
Johnny Bone Jr., Pea Ridge, Ark., defending points champion, claimed the USRA modified A feature. Webb City’s Mitch Keeter was third.
Joplin’s John Coats won the factory stock A feature to maintain his No. 1 standing in points.
Rounding out the A feature winners were Clayton Powell (pure stock), Dusty Schmidt (pro-4), Dakota Maggard (Midwest Modz) and J.C. Morton (USRA B modified).
How about those Keeters?
- High School Sports
- Missouri Southern Sports
- Missouri Southern basketball teams set schedules
- Missouri Southern's Phillips nominated for Good Works team
- Former MSSU runner qualifies for marathon trials
- Moon hits his first two professional homers in win
- BLOG: Missouri Southern's Logan Moon on hit streak
- Pittsburg State Sports
- PSU product Stalcup pitches gem for Beloit
- Pittsburg State hires former Bearcat as strength coach
- Pittsburg State's Brown, Ginn add speed to Arizona
- Missouri Southern, Pittsburg State to be featured on MIAA TV
- Lizzy Jeronimus wins Ken B. Jones Award; Gammon, Broyles enter MIAA Hall of Fame
Zengel to start Zone 3 opener for Miners
Todd Lee, coach of the Joplin American Legion baseball team, said Tuesday that right-hander Austin Zengel will be the starting pitcher for the Miners on Thursday in the Zone 3 Tournament at Warrensburg.Continued ...
- Neosho's Silas Bohannan signs with Cardinals
- Webb City blanks Kentucky, earns No. 2 seed in softball regional
- Joplin South 12U wins Little League state title
- Premier Baseball tourney boasts 64 teams
- Zengel to start Zone 3 opener for Miners