From staff reports
OZARK, Mo. — The Joplin High School girls soccer team salvaged seventh place in the Tri-County Tournament on Saturday.
The Eagles, 7-4 overall, rebounded to beat Willard 4-1 in the seventh-place match after losing 2-1 in overtime to Neosho in a consolation semifinal.
Neosho (5-6) defeated Bolivar 2-1 for fifth in the tourney held at Nixa and Ozark.
Joplin lost 1-0 to Lebanon in a first-round match on Friday night at Nixa.
Joplin scored the last four goals in the match against Willard. The Eagles’ Rachel Lazenby tied it at 1-1 late in the first half before — with the wind — they got second-half goals from Lazenby, Kelsey Sanders and Lauren Schwab on a late penalty kick.
Stephanie Taylor had two assists for the Eagles against Willard.
Neosho’s Shelby Murray tallied the winning goal against Joplin just 24 seconds into the overtime.
Goals by Lazenby and the Wildcats’ Stephanie Wilson created the 1-1 deadlock.
Lebanon’s Hanna Winkel scored on a penalty kick with about 10 minutes left in the match to lift the Yellowjackets on Friday night
Randi Russell had six saves for the Eagles. Joplin statistics had Lebanon with a 13-11 shots advantage.
Eagles place seventh
PITTSBURG, Kan. — Joplin teams placed seventh in both divisions of the Pittsburg State Invitational on Friday.
Colbie Snyder and Mike Honeywell had a 1-2 finish in the pole vault to highlight the Eagles’ effort. Snyder cleared 13 feet, 6 inches and Honeywell vaulted over 13-0. Sam Yount was sixth, clearing 12-6.
Joplin’s boys also had fourth-place finishes from Gates Sanders in the 200-meter dash, Logan Simon in the 300 hurdles and the 4x200 relay team of Sanquez Moss, Sanders, Honeywell and Simon.
In the girls division, Ashley Shimmin won the shot put (38-3) and placed sixth in the discus.
Ashley Davidson was second in the vault and teammate MacKensze Roberts was fifth. Emilee Dailey tied for third in the high jump.
From staff reports
- High School Sports
- Missouri Southern Sports
- Missouri Southern basketball teams set schedules
- Missouri Southern's Phillips nominated for Good Works team
- Former MSSU runner qualifies for marathon trials
- Moon hits his first two professional homers in win
- BLOG: Missouri Southern's Logan Moon on hit streak
- Pittsburg State Sports
- PSU product Stalcup pitches gem for Beloit
- Pittsburg State hires former Bearcat as strength coach
- Pittsburg State's Brown, Ginn add speed to Arizona
- Missouri Southern, Pittsburg State to be featured on MIAA TV
- Lizzy Jeronimus wins Ken B. Jones Award; Gammon, Broyles enter MIAA Hall of Fame
Joplin South 12U wins Little League state title
As audible chants of “We believe we will win” echoed across Sunny Jim Park on Monday night, Joplin South Little League pitcher Zach Stayton stood atop the mound with a determined gaze in his eye. One letter-high fastball later, he stood a champion.Continued ...
- Premier Baseball tourney boasts 64 teams
- Webb's Cornish adds dad to staff
- Joplin takes 25-win record into Zone 3
- Missouri Southern baseball adds 15 signees
- Joplin South 12U wins Little League state title