By Anvil Welch
Joe Bettasso, a 2000 graduate of Joplin High School, quickly shed the interim head coach tag at McPherson (Kan.) College.
Bettasso officially was named head coach of the Bulldogs in late February.
NAIA member McPherson competes in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.
Bettasso, a standout in the secondary at JHS under Jesse Wall, started three years as a strong safety at Missouri Southern for Bill Cooke and the late John Ware.
Bettasso served as the McPherson defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator the past two seasons under Brian Ward.
“This is a great situation,” Bettasso said on Tuesday. “It’s a real positive to my career. Coaching at any level always will be a challenge. You worry about depth like any coach in the country.
“We have a good group of upperclassmen,” Bettasso said. “We have some depth. I believe we’re scheduled to return 10 starters on defense and nine on defense. We’ll have a senior running back, Aaron Lafitte, who was an honorable mention All-American last season.
“We were 9-2 overall last season and lost (at MidAmerica Nazarene) in the first round of the playoffs,” Bettasso said. “We lost (also on the road) to conference champion Ottawa in two overtimes.”
The position of head coach at McPherson became vacant when Ward, a former Missouri Southern assistant, moved to North Dakota State as an assistant.
Said Ward in a McPherson release: “It’s an ultimate compliment by the administration and the athletic director to promote one of my former players and coaches to continue with the program and the foundation that was started three years ago. Joe knows this program, the philosophy and scheme inside and out. He is the perfect man for the job right now. I am very proud of him and how far he has come. The administration knows what it is doing and wants to win. It did the right thing.”
By Anvil Welch
- High School Sports
- Missouri Southern Sports
- Missouri Southern basketball teams set schedules
- Missouri Southern's Phillips nominated for Good Works team
- Former MSSU runner qualifies for marathon trials
- Moon hits his first two professional homers in win
- BLOG: Missouri Southern's Logan Moon on hit streak
- Pittsburg State Sports
- PSU product Stalcup pitches gem for Beloit
- Pittsburg State hires former Bearcat as strength coach
- Pittsburg State's Brown, Ginn add speed to Arizona
- Missouri Southern, Pittsburg State to be featured on MIAA TV
- Lizzy Jeronimus wins Ken B. Jones Award; Gammon, Broyles enter MIAA Hall of Fame
Seven-run inning lifts Joplin Legion to victory
A seven-run second inning lifted the Joplin Miners past Springfield Hillcrest 9-6 in the Missouri American Legion Triple-A Zone 3 Tournament on Thursday night.Continued ...
- Webb City softball falls short of World Series
- Former major leaguer McElroy enjoys watching sons progress in baseball
- Power outage at Joe Becker forces schedule changes
- Razorbacks assistant golf coach looks to defend Twin Hills title
- Seven-run inning lifts Joplin Legion to victory