By Richard Polen
An all-star squad loaded with offensive firepower will represent the west side of Southwest Missouri in the Grin Iron Classic on June 4 at JFK Stadium in Springfield.
The head coach of the West squad, Bret Gosch, will be assisted by offensive coordinator Jon Guidie of Carthage and defensive coordinator Rich Rehagen of Nixa. Tom Gosch, former head coach at Webb City and Bret’s father, is the honorary coach.
The East squad will coached by Doug Smith, head coach at Logan-Rogersville.
The event is coordinated by the All-Star Smiles Sertoma Club. In the last six years, more than $200,000 has been raised to support the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile of the Ozarks, a dental clinic for children.
West quarterbacks Mitch Jenkins of Springfield Hillcrest and Devin St. Clair of Joplin have an array of big-play receivers as potential targets on the preliminary roster.
Converted defensive backs Boo Rodgers of Webb City and Devron Moore of Carthage were chosen as wide receivers, along with track standout Gates Sanders of Joplin, Jackson Tettenhorst of Mount Vernon, Trevor Hole of Carthage and Trevor Tanner, who quarterbacked Cassville to a Class 3 state championship last fall. Tanner was a coaches’ team all-state receiver as a junior.
The tight ends are Nick Chasten of Seneca and Mason Siebert of Carthage.
Adding to the offensive arsenal are running backs Braxton Baker of Webb City, Jordan Meadows of Liberal, Joseph Gouvion of Cassville and Jordan Keeney of Nixa.
The offensive line features Matt Bridges and Addison Rainwater of Neosho, Jordan Rainey, Joplin; Dylan Gibson, Cassville; Chance Mayden, Lockwood; Jake Medford, Nixa, and Jake Hartley, Bolivar.
Assisting Gosch and Guidie with the offense are coaches Scott Bailey, Lamar, inside receivers; Chris Wilkerson, Carthage, outside receivers; Lance Roweton, Bolivar, running backs; and Matt McKee, Carthage, offensive line.
By Richard Polen
- High School Sports
- Missouri Southern Sports
- Missouri Southern basketball teams set schedules
- Missouri Southern's Phillips nominated for Good Works team
- Former MSSU runner qualifies for marathon trials
- Moon hits his first two professional homers in win
- BLOG: Missouri Southern's Logan Moon on hit streak
- Pittsburg State Sports
- PSU product Stalcup pitches gem for Beloit
- Pittsburg State hires former Bearcat as strength coach
- Pittsburg State's Brown, Ginn add speed to Arizona
- Missouri Southern, Pittsburg State to be featured on MIAA TV
- Lizzy Jeronimus wins Ken B. Jones Award; Gammon, Broyles enter MIAA Hall of Fame
Zengel to start Zone 3 opener for Miners
Todd Lee, coach of the Joplin American Legion baseball team, said Tuesday that right-hander Austin Zengel will be the starting pitcher for the Miners on Thursday in the Zone 3 Tournament at Warrensburg.Continued ...
- Neosho's Silas Bohannan signs with Cardinals
- Webb City blanks Kentucky, earns No. 2 seed in softball regional
- Joplin South 12U wins Little League state title
- Premier Baseball tourney boasts 64 teams
- Zengel to start Zone 3 opener for Miners