The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

Top Stories

February 25, 2014

Joplin school building projects marching toward completion

As all eyes are on a targeted completion date for Joplin High School that is now less than half a year away, work continues across the school district on a number of construction projects, the managers for those projects told the Joplin Board of Education on Tuesday night.

The combined high school and Franklin Technology Center is still tracking for August completion, with the exception of the performing arts area, said Jason Bishop, with Universal Construction.

Construction crews are working on interior finishes in some portions of the building, including the sciences and arts wings, and on the exterior of areas such as the cafeteria and gymnasiums, he said. The floors for the gymnasium were poured earlier this week, while those for the auxiliary gym could be poured later this week if the weather holds, he said.

Crews also continue working on punch-list items at Irving and Soaring Heights elementary schools and East Middle School, which opened Jan. 9.

Archie Smith, with Universal Construction, said the Irving punch-list is down to about 12 items, and work there could be wrapped up sometime in March. A majority of punch-list items for Soaring Heights and East are also complete, he said.

The board also heard an update on a construction project that is adding community safe rooms, which will double as gymnasiums, at all elementary schools.

The safe rooms at Cecil Floyd and Stapleton schools are the furthest along, with work now focusing on interior finishes. They are expected to be the first safe rooms to be finished and should be ready by the beginning of April.

Work on safe rooms at the remaining schools is under way; the safe rooms at Columbia and West Central schools are currently out for bidding.

In other business Tuesday night, the board approved:

• A grant of $110,084 for 20 welding machines for the welding lab at Franklin Technology Center. This grant is funded up to 75 percent from the state, with the remaining 25 percent to come from the school district.

• A $53,293 agreement with Instructure Canvas Learning Systems for a system that will be used for curriculum management, course storage and professional development, as well as being used as an online learning platform for students.

• A $30,441 agreement with the Leadership and Learning Center for four days of professional development for 60 participants.

• A $17,600 agreement with PLS Third Learning for professional development involving new online courses and blended learning strategies.

• A payment of $18,672 to the Missouri Schools for the Severely Disabled for educational services to Joplin students during the 2012-13 academic year.

• Evaluations of the early childhood education program, counseling and guidance program, and Project Hope.

• The declaration as surplus property of the mobile classroom at Duenweg Elementary School.

• A four-day trip in late April to Washington, D.C., for the high school Constitution Team, which recently earned a spot in the national We the People competition.



Observance

JOPLIN SCHOOLS will celebrate Read Across America Day on Monday, in honor of the 110th birthday of Dr. Seuss.

1
Text Only
Top Stories