The Joplin Globe, Joplin, MO

April 3, 2013

Judge finds Oklahoma bomb plot suspect unfit for trial

From staff, AP reports

TULSA, Okla. — A federal judge decided Wednesday that a man suspected of assembling Molotov cocktails to firebomb churches in Oklahoma is not mentally competent to stand trial.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul J. Cleary ruled at a hearing in Tulsa that Gregory A. Weiler II, 24, of Elk Grove Village, Ill., should remain in federal custody and continue receiving mental-health treatment until he is deemed fit to stand trial.

Weiler has pleaded not guilty to a single count of possession of an unregistered destructive device, a charge that carries up to 10 years in prison and fine of up to $250,000. He was arrested Aug. 4 at the Legacy Inn & Suites in Miami, Okla., in alleged possession of materials to construct about 50 Molotov cocktails and apparent plans to firebomb 48 churches in the area.

Court records state that Weiler is believed to have been hospitalized for mental-health issues on multiple occasions over the past five years, and that he has been variously diagnosed with depression disorder, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and borderline personality disorder.

His federal public defender’s motion seeking the competency hearing held Wednesday notes reason to believe that the defendant “has not taken prescribed medications for his conditions since 2010.”

After the judge’s ruling at the hearing, Weiler went on a rambling, incoherent speech.

“I would really like it if people open their eyes to what’s occurred in this country in the past six months,” he told the judge while remaining seated in the courtroom.

Shackled and dressed in jail garb, he uttered a profanity at one point and asked the judge if he was familiar with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington before a microphone was taken away from him.

Weiler could spend up to four months in treatment at a federal prison before he is re-evaluated. His federal public defender, Stephen Greubel, declined comment on his client’s case outside the courtroom. Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew Cyran said his office agreed with the judge’s decision.

A cousin of Weiler’s has told The Associated Press that both of Weiler’s parents committed suicide, and that he has struggled with drug addictions and mental illness for a number of years.

Miami connection

POLICE BELIEVE GREGORY WEILER had been working in the Houston area before ending up in Miami on his way back to Missouri. He told police that he caught a ride in Texas from two men he did not know, and they left him stranded in Miami after he got into an argument with them.