By Emily Younker
JOPLIN, Mo. —
The departing president of Missouri Southern State University, Bruce Speck, will receive the equivalent of a year’s salary as well as housing and health care benefits through the end of the year.
That’s according to an agreement that settles the terms of the termination of his contract. That agreement was approved today by the MSSU Board of Governors.
According to the agreement, which has also been signed by Speck, the university will pay Speck:
• All contract benefits through the end of this month.
• Twelve monthly installments, beginning in July, equaling $185,400, which is the amount of his annual salary.
• His health coverage through December.
• A monthly housing allowance of $3,333.33 through December.
• About $14,300, which represents 160 hours of accrued vacation pay.
The board last week voted unanimously to terminate Speck’s contract as president, which was to extend to June 30, 2015.
The reasons for the action were again not divulged by the board Wednesday.