- May 2011 Joplin tornado
City opens new round of shelter applications
Those who operate nursing homes, group homes and residential day care operations for at-risk adults and children may now apply for commercial-sized storm shelters available from the city of Joplin.
November 26, 2013
SLIDESHOW: One year later, One day of unity, updated
Photos from a day of events commemorating the May 22, 2011 tornado anniversary
May 22, 2012 1 Photo
Lost tornado photos find home at museum
Joplin resident Flo Taylor has a piece of her life back. Thirty pieces to be precise. “This is such a blessing,” she said as she explored the contents of a manilla envelope Friday morning at the Joplin Museum Complex.
November 22, 2013 1 Photo
NIST study: Clear communications essential for tornado warnings
After hearing the results of a two-year technical investigation into the Joplin tornado by the federal government Thursday morning, Dale Mermoud still had a question on his mind. He wanted to know this: “Why can’t they be more specific in their tornado warnings?” After a press briefing at Missouri Southern State University on the National Institute of Standards and Technology study, Mermoud posed that question to the people who worked on the study.
November 21, 2013
Rebuild Joplin celebrates 100th home since 2011 tornado
Nearly two and a half years after an EF-5 tornado destroyed about a third of Joplin, volunteers and supporters of Rebuild Joplin ceremonially cut the ribbons on the organization’s 100th home on Tuesday. “It’s an incredible milestone of progress,” said Chad Carson, executive director of Rebuild Joplin.
November 5, 2013 1 Photo
Tornado fund seeks new grant applications
The Joplin Tornado First Response Fund has about $275,000 left to give out, but there were no applicants for its third round of grants. Chairman Phil Stinnett told the board on Monday that there was a public advertisement of the grant round but no one applied.
November 4, 2013
VIDEO: Rebuild Joplin effort started in basement of Illinois church
Housewarming parties don’t get much bigger or more enthusiastic than the one held for Emily Morrison on Thursday morning. As she stood in front of her new house at 1312 E. 24th St. in front of a large contingent of volunteers and well-wishers, she said that it was difficult to put into words what the last few months have meant to her.
September 26, 2013 2 Photos
Closing of Transform Joplin Warehouse marks milestone
Tornado recovery in Joplin reached an unofficial milestone with the announcement that Transform Joplin has closed “The Warehouse” at the corner of 12th Street and South Wall Avenue.
August 27, 2013
Applications for storm shelters available; first round is for mobile home parks
Applications are being taken by the city of Joplin for storm shelters that are available from the former temporary housing sites set up by the Federal Emergency Management Agency after the May 2011 tornado.
August 21, 2013
Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
Lost Photos of Joplin has scheduled several claim days in upcoming weeks, with the first of those set for 3 to 7 p.m. today at the Joplin Family Worship Center, 5290 E. Seventh St.
July 10, 2013
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- City opens new round of shelter applications
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- GALLERY: Hawk that survived tornado soars again 862 days 5 Photos
- VIDEO: Thousands of volunteers needed when “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” comes to Joplin 835 days
- MPA releases preview of upcoming Globe documentary 903 days
- GALLERY: Location for new hospital announced 843 days 5 Photos
- VIDEO: Comedians to "Stand Up for Joplin" 872 days
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Susan Redden: McCaskill praises Joplin cooperation 831 days
- Mark Rohr, guest columnist: Miracle of the human spirit ever-pervasive since tornado 831 days
- Ron Richard, guest columnist: Partnership can spur recovery 831 days
- Wally Kennedy: Flocks expected for Chick-fil-A opening 832 days
- Susan Redden: State officials argue about disaster money 838 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Saying nice things about St. John’s folks is easy 835 days
- Mike Pound: Joplin Habitat looking for eligible families 836 days
- Mike Pound: Woman’s effort snags scrubs for Joplin 841 days
- Mike Pound: Veterans bearing gifts coming to Joplin 842 days
- Mike Pound: Minot, N.D. needs Joplin’s support, too 848 days
- Tornado: Lists of missing, fatalities & relief
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- GALLERY: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition 777 days
- DONATE: Boomtown Days announces partnership with Restore Joplin 844 days
- DONATE: St. Louis theater extends hand to Joplin 847 days 1 Photo
- Donate: Art auction planned to raise money for Joplin School District 854 days
- Concert to benefit widowed tornado victim 861 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- Joplin recovery center moves to new site 536 days
- One-year insurance deadline approaches for Joplin storm victims 570 days
- Events to mark tornado anniversary 580 days
- Grant aids Duquesne in storm recovery 756 days
- RESOURCE: Builders organize event for storm victims, others 849 days