- May 2011 Joplin tornado
NIST study: Clear communications essential for tornado warnings
After hearing the results of a two-year technical investigation into the Joplin tornado by the federal government Thursday morning, Dale Mermoud still had a question on his mind. He wanted to know this: “Why can’t they be more specific in their tornado warnings?” After a press briefing at Missouri Southern State University on the National Institute of Standards and Technology study, Mermoud posed that question to the people who worked on the study.
November 21, 2013
Rebuild Joplin celebrates 100th home since 2011 tornado
Nearly two and a half years after an EF-5 tornado destroyed about a third of Joplin, volunteers and supporters of Rebuild Joplin ceremonially cut the ribbons on the organization’s 100th home on Tuesday. “It’s an incredible milestone of progress,” said Chad Carson, executive director of Rebuild Joplin.
November 5, 2013 1 Photo
Tornado fund seeks new grant applications
The Joplin Tornado First Response Fund has about $275,000 left to give out, but there were no applicants for its third round of grants. Chairman Phil Stinnett told the board on Monday that there was a public advertisement of the grant round but no one applied.
November 4, 2013
VIDEO: Rebuild Joplin effort started in basement of Illinois church
Housewarming parties don’t get much bigger or more enthusiastic than the one held for Emily Morrison on Thursday morning. As she stood in front of her new house at 1312 E. 24th St. in front of a large contingent of volunteers and well-wishers, she said that it was difficult to put into words what the last few months have meant to her.
September 26, 2013 2 Photos
Closing of Transform Joplin Warehouse marks milestone
Tornado recovery in Joplin reached an unofficial milestone with the announcement that Transform Joplin has closed “The Warehouse” at the corner of 12th Street and South Wall Avenue.
August 27, 2013
Applications for storm shelters available; first round is for mobile home parks
Applications are being taken by the city of Joplin for storm shelters that are available from the former temporary housing sites set up by the Federal Emergency Management Agency after the May 2011 tornado.
August 21, 2013
Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
Lost Photos of Joplin has scheduled several claim days in upcoming weeks, with the first of those set for 3 to 7 p.m. today at the Joplin Family Worship Center, 5290 E. Seventh St.
July 10, 2013
Big Brothers Big Sisters launches campaign with substantial donations
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jasper and Newton Counties is off to a promising start for its capital campaign to replace its office that was destroyed in the May 2011 tornado.
July 2, 2013
Donations helping JHS music programs rebuild after tornado
Building a repertoire for the Joplin School District’s orchestra program is a challenge for Kylee VanHorn. “Every time I get on the Internet and look at the music sites, there are so many pieces I want to purchase, and I just don’t have the money,” VanHorn said.
June 19, 2013 3 Photos
Illinois youth group arrives in Joplin to assemble house
Break time was approaching, but Keith Duncan wanted to make one last concentrated push in order to get the large Penske truck unloaded. “Two minutes, people! Two minutes!” he yelled as the students and adults hauling large wooden sections out of the truck began picking up the pace.
June 10, 2013 4 Photos
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- NIST study: Clear communications essential for tornado warnings
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- GALLERY: President Obama tours Joplin 1015 days 9 Photos
- RESOURCE: Joplin tornado recovery Web site, RebuildJoplin.org, goes live 1016 days
- AUDIO: Joplin tornado emergency service dispatch audio; 911 recording shows progression of storm 1016 days
- CURATED VIDEO: Residents share tornado videos on YouTube 1016 days
- RESOURCE: State of Missouri launches online tornado resource page 1016 days
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Susan Redden: House panel calls for use of Rainy Day Fund 952 days
- Clair Goodwin: Praise for an undefeated spirit 953 days
- Carol Stark: Looking for owner of this found ‘memory’ 953 days
- Mike Pence, guest columnist: The path forward 953 days
- Wally Kennedy: IHOP may offer lesson in survival 953 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Tornado help just keeps on coming 983 days
- Mike Pound: Billy Staples helping ‘one story at a time’ 984 days
- Mike Pound: State library to help write a new chapter 985 days
- Mike Pound: T-ball league pays tribute to Howard family 989 days
- Mike Pound: Storm-created uncertainties tough for kids 990 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Branson performers plan telethon for tornado victims 990 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: California school donates to JHS 992 days
- DONATE: Fundraising effort announced to spur Joplin business growth 993 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Creating and donating 995 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Relief organizations establish separate funds for Joplin tornado victims 995 days 1 Photo
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: FEMA specialists on hand at Home Depot 982 days
- RESOURCE: Book fair to provide free books for children 983 days
- RESOURCE: Workshop to focus on storm-resistant building techniques 985 days
- DONATE: Chow Train chefs fuel AmeriCorps workers 985 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: Red Cross puts out last call for people needing shelter 986 days