- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Rescuers, tornado victims reunite at Quapaw station
There were lots of hugs exchanged, pictures taken and memories summoned when fire crews on Friday met the two youngsters they pulled, critically injured, from the wreckage of Joplin’s 2011 tornado.
June 7, 2013 3 Photos
Quapaw tribe’s firefighters, EMS personnel meet with children rescued at Home Depot in 2011
There were hugs, stories and the occasional tear this morning when two children who were trapped and seriously injured after the 2011 Joplin tornado met for the first time the Quapaw Tribe firefighters and emergency medical workers who pulled them from the wreckage and saved their lives that night.
June 7, 2013
New members take seats on redevelopment board
Three new members took their places on the board of the Joplin Redevelopment Corp. in a meeting Thursday. The panel welcomed as new members Laurie Delano, vice president of finance for Empire District Electric Co.; Gary Duncan, retired president and chief executive of Freeman Health System; and Phil Stinnett, a former Joplin council member and mayor.
June 6, 2013
Tornado grant trustees look to shelter placement
Trustees overseeing a Joplin tornado fund hope to use some of their remaining money to move FEMA-financed tornado shelters to areas where they are needed.
June 6, 2013
Documentary about Joplin Globe coverage of tornado wins 2013 Mirror Award
The documentary “Deadline in Disaster” has won a 2013 Mirror Award in the “Best Single Story” category.
June 5, 2013
Oklahoma photo collection to begin with ‘Picture Patrol’
A new national photo rescue operation based in Carthage that formed to help salvage and return to owners what was lost in the Joplin tornado has reached out to Moore, Okla., and next week will help storm victims there get down to business.
May 31, 2013
Rebuild Joplin stages housewarming event
Thanks to volunteers from Rebuild Joplin, Bobby Burton has been able to call a house that has been in his family for more than 60 years home again.
May 28, 2013
Tornado exhibition book now on sale at Spiva
Many tornado survivors who shared messages of strength and resilience for last year’s “Dear World, From Joplin With Love” exhibit at Spiva Center for the Arts are sharing those same messages permanently in a book that is now on sale.
May 26, 2013 2 Photos
Joplin insurance agent seeks donations for Moore, Okla.
After losing an office building and her home in the tornado on May 22, 2011, Loretta Bailey is familiar with the destruction that a tornado brings. The 400 households that her insurance agency helped through the aftermath of the tornado also know that loss. \
May 24, 2013 1 Photo
Joplin team drove through storm to get to Moore
It was a long drive in the middle of a severe thunderstorm that had earlier produced a massive tornado in Moore, Okla. With the two-year anniversary of Joplin’s deadly twister approaching on Wednesday, a team of 14 Joplin emergency workers was ready to risk the trip in order to get help to a hurting Moore.
May 23, 2013
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Rescuers, tornado victims reunite at Quapaw station
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- GALLERY: President Obama tours Joplin 926 days 9 Photos
- RESOURCE: Joplin tornado recovery Web site, RebuildJoplin.org, goes live 927 days
- AUDIO: Joplin tornado emergency service dispatch audio; 911 recording shows progression of storm 927 days
- CURATED VIDEO: Residents share tornado videos on YouTube 927 days
- RESOURCE: State of Missouri launches online tornado resource page 927 days
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Susan Redden: House panel calls for use of Rainy Day Fund 863 days
- Clair Goodwin: Praise for an undefeated spirit 864 days
- Carol Stark: Looking for owner of this found ‘memory’ 864 days
- Mike Pence, guest columnist: The path forward 864 days
- Wally Kennedy: IHOP may offer lesson in survival 865 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Tornado help just keeps on coming 894 days
- Mike Pound: Billy Staples helping ‘one story at a time’ 895 days
- Mike Pound: State library to help write a new chapter 896 days
- Mike Pound: T-ball league pays tribute to Howard family 900 days
- Mike Pound: Storm-created uncertainties tough for kids 901 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Branson performers plan telethon for tornado victims 901 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: California school donates to JHS 903 days
- DONATE: Fundraising effort announced to spur Joplin business growth 904 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Creating and donating 906 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Relief organizations establish separate funds for Joplin tornado victims 906 days 1 Photo
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: FEMA specialists on hand at Home Depot 894 days
- RESOURCE: Book fair to provide free books for children 894 days
- RESOURCE: Workshop to focus on storm-resistant building techniques 896 days
- DONATE: Chow Train chefs fuel AmeriCorps workers 896 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: Red Cross puts out last call for people needing shelter 897 days