- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Closing of Transform Joplin Warehouse marks milestone
Tornado recovery in Joplin reached an unofficial milestone with the announcement that Transform Joplin has closed “The Warehouse” at the corner of 12th Street and South Wall Avenue.
August 27, 2013
Applications for storm shelters available; first round is for mobile home parks
Applications are being taken by the city of Joplin for storm shelters that are available from the former temporary housing sites set up by the Federal Emergency Management Agency after the May 2011 tornado.
August 21, 2013
Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
Lost Photos of Joplin has scheduled several claim days in upcoming weeks, with the first of those set for 3 to 7 p.m. today at the Joplin Family Worship Center, 5290 E. Seventh St.
July 10, 2013
Big Brothers Big Sisters launches campaign with substantial donations
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jasper and Newton Counties is off to a promising start for its capital campaign to replace its office that was destroyed in the May 2011 tornado.
July 2, 2013
Donations helping JHS music programs rebuild after tornado
Building a repertoire for the Joplin School District’s orchestra program is a challenge for Kylee VanHorn. “Every time I get on the Internet and look at the music sites, there are so many pieces I want to purchase, and I just don’t have the money,” VanHorn said.
June 19, 2013 3 Photos
Illinois youth group arrives in Joplin to assemble house
Break time was approaching, but Keith Duncan wanted to make one last concentrated push in order to get the large Penske truck unloaded. “Two minutes, people! Two minutes!” he yelled as the students and adults hauling large wooden sections out of the truck began picking up the pace.
June 10, 2013 4 Photos
Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
For 19 months, rows of nearly 600 units spread out among community and commercial sites were a visual reminder of the homes lost in Joplin on May 22, 2011. One by one, contractors began disassembling and moving the trailers, a testament to their occupants having found places to live.
June 9, 2013 3 Photos
Civil engineers release study of Joplin tornado damage
It did not take much wind to flatten houses in the Joplin tornado zone because so many were poorly constructed to withstand wind, according to a study released recently by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
June 8, 2013 3 Photos
Rescuers, tornado victims reunite at Quapaw station
There were lots of hugs exchanged, pictures taken and memories summoned when fire crews on Friday met the two youngsters they pulled, critically injured, from the wreckage of Joplin’s 2011 tornado.
June 7, 2013 3 Photos
Quapaw tribe’s firefighters, EMS personnel meet with children rescued at Home Depot in 2011
There were hugs, stories and the occasional tear this morning when two children who were trapped and seriously injured after the 2011 Joplin tornado met for the first time the Quapaw Tribe firefighters and emergency medical workers who pulled them from the wreckage and saved their lives that night.
June 7, 2013
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Closing of Transform Joplin Warehouse marks milestone
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- RESOURCE: State of Missouri launches online tornado resource page 1016 days
- VIDEO: Tornado-damaged churches propose plans for services 1016 days
- INTERACTIVE: LA Times posts graphic of Joplin tornado damage 1018 days
- VIDEO: National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) serves at MSSU 1019 days
- GALLERY: Joplin tornado May 2011 1019 days 19 Photos
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Wally Kennedy: IHOP may offer lesson in survival 954 days
- Rich Brown: 4-legged friends bring relief 955 days
- Rich Brown: Mission continues 955 days
- Carol Stark: We’ll take all the miracles we can get 956 days
- Garen McMillian, guest columnist: Joplin’s future depends on decisions we make today 957 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Storm-created uncertainties tough for kids 990 days
- Mike Pound: Time goes on ... as does Joplin 991 days
- Mike Pound: Fundraiser another chance to help one another 992 days
- Mike Pound: Emotions mixed on Father’s Day 993 days
- Mike Pound: Downsized, but still laughing 997 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Relief organizations establish separate funds for Joplin tornado victims 995 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Branson concert to aid Joplin 996 days
- DONATE: Recovery efforts get starpower with $500,000 donation from Pitt, Jolie 1003 days
- DONATE: Pitt and Jolie donate $500,000 to Joplin 1004 days
- DONATE: Satterlee family donates $250,000 to school district 1006 days 1 Photo
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: Red Cross puts out last call for people needing shelter 986 days
- No state fees for tornado victims to replace documents 987 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA approves more than $4 million in relief funds 992 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA to construct housing park 992 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Fundraising effort announced to spur Joplin business growth 993 days 1 Photo