- May 2011 Joplin tornado
As he walked through the devastation left in the wake of the tornado, trying to lend a hand to people in need, the thought was there in the back of Charlie Brown’s mind.
May 18, 2013
Mennonite Disaster Service
They call it the theology of the hammer. It’s built on the idea that rebuilding a devastated area includes more than the physical labor of constructing houses — it also includes fellowship and friendship with the homeowner, the volunteers and everyone involved in the process.
May 18, 2013
John Williams and Mike Hamilton
Two Joplin residents have found that retirement is a lot of work. But John Williams and Mike Hamilton, who spend most of their weekdays volunteering with local nonprofit rebuilding organizations, probably wouldn’t have it any other way.
May 18, 2013 2 Photos
VIDEO: Nearly 2,300 take part in second Joplin Memorial Run
Having just cruised across the line to finish in first place in the Joplin Memorial Run’s half-marathon, Andrew Webb paused for a moment to catch his breath and take it all in.
May 18, 2013 1 Photo 1 Slideshow
Disaster response team to hold tornado memorial ride
A group of motorcycle enthusiasts who focus on disaster relief plan to hold a motorcycle ride through Joplin on the second anniversary of the May 22, 2011, tornado.
May 17, 2013 1 Photo
Interfaith service explores different faiths
The interfaith service, scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Sunday in Joplin’s Landreth Park, will explore the theme of “Different Faiths — One Community.’’ The community service is held around the anniversary of the May 22, 2011, tornado, but organizers say the focus is not specifically on the tornado.
May 17, 2013
St. Mary’s breaks ground to replace structures destroyed in 2011 tornado
Ground was broken symbolically Thursday to mark the beginning of a new chapter in the life of St. Mary’s parish in Joplin. “Our life is full of many chapters, and so is our parish,’’ said Bishop James Johnston, with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau.
May 16, 2013 1 Photo
Attorney general files suit against California contractor
Attorney General Chris Koster on Thursday filed a lawsuit against a California man, alleging he failed to provide construction materials and home repair services that had been paid for by victims of the Joplin tornado.
May 16, 2013
Employees of local businesses chip in again with Rebuild Joplin
Precariously perched at the top of a ladder, Jack Quinn maneuvers himself into a position where he can hammer a nail with one hand and stabilize his balance with the other. Catching his breath, he said, “I’m pretty sure I know the reason I’m not a carpenter.”
May 13, 2013 2 Photos
Joplin board issues remainder of $62 million in bonds
The Joplin Board of Education on Tuesday authorized the sale of $27 million in bonds to help pay for the rebuilding of schools destroyed by the 2011 tornado.
April 30, 2013
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Charlie Brown
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- RESOURCE: State of Missouri launches online tornado resource page 726 days
- VIDEO: Tornado-damaged churches propose plans for services 726 days
- INTERACTIVE: LA Times posts graphic of Joplin tornado damage 728 days
- VIDEO: National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) serves at MSSU 729 days
- GALLERY: Joplin tornado May 2011 729 days 19 Photos
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Wally Kennedy: IHOP may offer lesson in survival 663 days
- Rich Brown: 4-legged friends bring relief 665 days
- Rich Brown: Mission continues 665 days
- Carol Stark: We’ll take all the miracles we can get 666 days
- Garen McMillian, guest columnist: Joplin’s future depends on decisions we make today 667 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Storm-created uncertainties tough for kids 700 days
- Mike Pound: Time goes on ... as does Joplin 701 days
- Mike Pound: Fundraiser another chance to help one another 702 days
- Mike Pound: Emotions mixed on Father’s Day 703 days
- Mike Pound: Downsized, but still laughing 707 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Relief organizations establish separate funds for Joplin tornado victims 705 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Branson concert to aid Joplin 706 days
- DONATE: Recovery efforts get starpower with $500,000 donation from Pitt, Jolie 713 days
- DONATE: Pitt and Jolie donate $500,000 to Joplin 714 days
- DONATE: Satterlee family donates $250,000 to school district 716 days 1 Photo
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: Red Cross puts out last call for people needing shelter 696 days
- No state fees for tornado victims to replace documents 697 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA approves more than $4 million in relief funds 701 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA to construct housing park 702 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Fundraising effort announced to spur Joplin business growth 703 days 1 Photo