- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Applications for storm shelters available; first round is for mobile home parks
Applications are being taken by the city of Joplin for storm shelters that are available from the former temporary housing sites set up by the Federal Emergency Management Agency after the May 2011 tornado.
August 21, 2013
Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
Lost Photos of Joplin has scheduled several claim days in upcoming weeks, with the first of those set for 3 to 7 p.m. today at the Joplin Family Worship Center, 5290 E. Seventh St.
July 10, 2013
Big Brothers Big Sisters launches campaign with substantial donations
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jasper and Newton Counties is off to a promising start for its capital campaign to replace its office that was destroyed in the May 2011 tornado.
July 2, 2013
Donations helping JHS music programs rebuild after tornado
Building a repertoire for the Joplin School District’s orchestra program is a challenge for Kylee VanHorn. “Every time I get on the Internet and look at the music sites, there are so many pieces I want to purchase, and I just don’t have the money,” VanHorn said.
June 19, 2013 3 Photos
Illinois youth group arrives in Joplin to assemble house
Break time was approaching, but Keith Duncan wanted to make one last concentrated push in order to get the large Penske truck unloaded. “Two minutes, people! Two minutes!” he yelled as the students and adults hauling large wooden sections out of the truck began picking up the pace.
June 10, 2013 4 Photos
Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
For 19 months, rows of nearly 600 units spread out among community and commercial sites were a visual reminder of the homes lost in Joplin on May 22, 2011. One by one, contractors began disassembling and moving the trailers, a testament to their occupants having found places to live.
June 9, 2013 3 Photos
Civil engineers release study of Joplin tornado damage
It did not take much wind to flatten houses in the Joplin tornado zone because so many were poorly constructed to withstand wind, according to a study released recently by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
June 8, 2013 3 Photos
Rescuers, tornado victims reunite at Quapaw station
There were lots of hugs exchanged, pictures taken and memories summoned when fire crews on Friday met the two youngsters they pulled, critically injured, from the wreckage of Joplin’s 2011 tornado.
June 7, 2013 3 Photos
Quapaw tribe’s firefighters, EMS personnel meet with children rescued at Home Depot in 2011
There were hugs, stories and the occasional tear this morning when two children who were trapped and seriously injured after the 2011 Joplin tornado met for the first time the Quapaw Tribe firefighters and emergency medical workers who pulled them from the wreckage and saved their lives that night.
June 7, 2013
New members take seats on redevelopment board
Three new members took their places on the board of the Joplin Redevelopment Corp. in a meeting Thursday. The panel welcomed as new members Laurie Delano, vice president of finance for Empire District Electric Co.; Gary Duncan, retired president and chief executive of Freeman Health System; and Phil Stinnett, a former Joplin council member and mayor.
June 6, 2013
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Applications for storm shelters available; first round is for mobile home parks
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- VIDEO: Tornado-damaged churches propose plans for services 1018 days
- INTERACTIVE: LA Times posts graphic of Joplin tornado damage 1020 days
- VIDEO: National Organization for Victim Assistance (NOVA) serves at MSSU 1020 days
- GALLERY: Joplin tornado May 2011 1021 days 19 Photos
- VIDEO: Duquesne hit hard by Sunday’s tornado 1021 days 1 Photo
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Rich Brown: 4-legged friends bring relief 957 days
- Rich Brown: Mission continues 957 days
- Carol Stark: We’ll take all the miracles we can get 957 days
- Garen McMillian, guest columnist: Joplin’s future depends on decisions we make today 959 days
- Susan Redden: Jobs, disaster recovery to be special session topics 961 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Time goes on ... as does Joplin 993 days
- Mike Pound: Fundraiser another chance to help one another 994 days
- Mike Pound: Emotions mixed on Father’s Day 995 days
- Mike Pound: Downsized, but still laughing 999 days
- Mike Pound: Believing in dreams ... and guardian angels 1000 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Branson concert to aid Joplin 998 days
- DONATE: Recovery efforts get starpower with $500,000 donation from Pitt, Jolie 1005 days
- DONATE: Pitt and Jolie donate $500,000 to Joplin 1006 days
- DONATE: Satterlee family donates $250,000 to school district 1008 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: More programs created to help Joplin schools 1009 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- No state fees for tornado victims to replace documents 988 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA approves more than $4 million in relief funds 993 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA to construct housing park 994 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Fundraising effort announced to spur Joplin business growth 995 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: Joplin’s autism center holding therapy sessions at The Bridge 996 days 1 Photo