- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
For 19 months, rows of nearly 600 units spread out among community and commercial sites were a visual reminder of the homes lost in Joplin on May 22, 2011. One by one, contractors began disassembling and moving the trailers, a testament to their occupants having found places to live.
June 9, 2013 3 Photos
Civil engineers release study of Joplin tornado damage
It did not take much wind to flatten houses in the Joplin tornado zone because so many were poorly constructed to withstand wind, according to a study released recently by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
June 8, 2013 3 Photos
Rescuers, tornado victims reunite at Quapaw station
There were lots of hugs exchanged, pictures taken and memories summoned when fire crews on Friday met the two youngsters they pulled, critically injured, from the wreckage of Joplin’s 2011 tornado.
June 7, 2013 3 Photos
Quapaw tribe’s firefighters, EMS personnel meet with children rescued at Home Depot in 2011
There were hugs, stories and the occasional tear this morning when two children who were trapped and seriously injured after the 2011 Joplin tornado met for the first time the Quapaw Tribe firefighters and emergency medical workers who pulled them from the wreckage and saved their lives that night.
June 7, 2013
New members take seats on redevelopment board
Three new members took their places on the board of the Joplin Redevelopment Corp. in a meeting Thursday. The panel welcomed as new members Laurie Delano, vice president of finance for Empire District Electric Co.; Gary Duncan, retired president and chief executive of Freeman Health System; and Phil Stinnett, a former Joplin council member and mayor.
June 6, 2013
Tornado grant trustees look to shelter placement
Trustees overseeing a Joplin tornado fund hope to use some of their remaining money to move FEMA-financed tornado shelters to areas where they are needed.
June 6, 2013
Documentary about Joplin Globe coverage of tornado wins 2013 Mirror Award
The documentary “Deadline in Disaster” has won a 2013 Mirror Award in the “Best Single Story” category.
June 5, 2013
Oklahoma photo collection to begin with ‘Picture Patrol’
A new national photo rescue operation based in Carthage that formed to help salvage and return to owners what was lost in the Joplin tornado has reached out to Moore, Okla., and next week will help storm victims there get down to business.
May 31, 2013
Rebuild Joplin stages housewarming event
Thanks to volunteers from Rebuild Joplin, Bobby Burton has been able to call a house that has been in his family for more than 60 years home again.
May 28, 2013
Tornado exhibition book now on sale at Spiva
Many tornado survivors who shared messages of strength and resilience for last year’s “Dear World, From Joplin With Love” exhibit at Spiva Center for the Arts are sharing those same messages permanently in a book that is now on sale.
May 26, 2013 2 Photos
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- VIDEO: A Walk through of College Heights Relief Efforts 1017 days
- VIDEO: Joplin students react to tornado, recovery 1017 days
- Globe launches Tornado Survivor's Facebook page 1017 days
- GALLERY: Aerial photos of the tornado's path 1017 days 8 Photos
- Google map pinpoints tornado damage in Joplin. 1018 days
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Wally Kennedy: Many changes planned for Range Line 957 days
- Steve Lea, guest columnist: Message on window speaks volumes 963 days
- Anson Burlingame, columnist: A Joplin built for everyone 967 days
- Rich Brown: Ozark Christian extending helping hand long after tornado’s impact 970 days 1 Photo
- Carol Stark: Vision could be reality 970 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Joplin needs tornado-trauma break 1006 days
- Mike Pound: The fundraiser must go on 1007 days
- Mike Pound: Youngsters send messages of hope 1008 days
- Mike Pound: Hearing-aid office providing free service 1009 days
- Mike Pound: Stotts City man finds ‘air-mail’ delivery 1010 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Cash donations continue to flow 1007 days
- DONATE: Donation will be made to Joplin schools 1007 days
- DONATE: Minnesota firm raising funds for school libraries 1007 days
- DONATE:: Humphreys family makes large donation to rebuild Joplin schools, offers challenge grant 1008 days
- DONATE: Galena Days proceeds to go to Joplin tornado victims 1012 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- DONATE: Relief organizations establish separate funds for Joplin tornado victims 992 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: FEMA cites list to guard against home-repair fraud 993 days
- RESOURCE: Workshops planned to teach storm victims about possible scams 993 days
- RESOURCE: Freeman issues update on patient accounts and physician locations 994 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA registering households 994 days