- May 2011 Joplin tornado
City opens new round of shelter applications
Those who operate nursing homes, group homes and residential day care operations for at-risk adults and children may now apply for commercial-sized storm shelters available from the city of Joplin.
November 26, 2013
Lost tornado photos find home at museum
Joplin resident Flo Taylor has a piece of her life back. Thirty pieces to be precise. “This is such a blessing,” she said as she explored the contents of a manilla envelope Friday morning at the Joplin Museum Complex.
November 22, 2013 1 Photo
NIST study: Clear communications essential for tornado warnings
After hearing the results of a two-year technical investigation into the Joplin tornado by the federal government Thursday morning, Dale Mermoud still had a question on his mind. He wanted to know this: “Why can’t they be more specific in their tornado warnings?” After a press briefing at Missouri Southern State University on the National Institute of Standards and Technology study, Mermoud posed that question to the people who worked on the study.
November 21, 2013
Rebuild Joplin celebrates 100th home since 2011 tornado
Nearly two and a half years after an EF-5 tornado destroyed about a third of Joplin, volunteers and supporters of Rebuild Joplin ceremonially cut the ribbons on the organization’s 100th home on Tuesday. “It’s an incredible milestone of progress,” said Chad Carson, executive director of Rebuild Joplin.
November 5, 2013 1 Photo
Tornado fund seeks new grant applications
The Joplin Tornado First Response Fund has about $275,000 left to give out, but there were no applicants for its third round of grants. Chairman Phil Stinnett told the board on Monday that there was a public advertisement of the grant round but no one applied.
November 4, 2013
VIDEO: Rebuild Joplin effort started in basement of Illinois church
Housewarming parties don’t get much bigger or more enthusiastic than the one held for Emily Morrison on Thursday morning. As she stood in front of her new house at 1312 E. 24th St. in front of a large contingent of volunteers and well-wishers, she said that it was difficult to put into words what the last few months have meant to her.
September 26, 2013 2 Photos
Closing of Transform Joplin Warehouse marks milestone
Tornado recovery in Joplin reached an unofficial milestone with the announcement that Transform Joplin has closed “The Warehouse” at the corner of 12th Street and South Wall Avenue.
August 27, 2013
Applications for storm shelters available; first round is for mobile home parks
Applications are being taken by the city of Joplin for storm shelters that are available from the former temporary housing sites set up by the Federal Emergency Management Agency after the May 2011 tornado.
August 21, 2013
Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
Lost Photos of Joplin has scheduled several claim days in upcoming weeks, with the first of those set for 3 to 7 p.m. today at the Joplin Family Worship Center, 5290 E. Seventh St.
July 10, 2013
Big Brothers Big Sisters launches campaign with substantial donations
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jasper and Newton Counties is off to a promising start for its capital campaign to replace its office that was destroyed in the May 2011 tornado.
July 2, 2013
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- City opens new round of shelter applications
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- VIDEO: A Walk through of College Heights Relief Efforts 1161 days
- VIDEO: Joplin students react to tornado, recovery 1161 days
- Globe launches Tornado Survivor's Facebook page 1161 days
- GALLERY: Aerial photos of the tornado's path 1161 days 8 Photos
- Google map pinpoints tornado damage in Joplin. 1162 days
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Susan Redden: Jobs, disaster recovery to be special session topics 1100 days
- Wally Kennedy: Many changes planned for Range Line 1101 days
- Steve Lea, guest columnist: Message on window speaks volumes 1107 days
- Anson Burlingame, columnist: A Joplin built for everyone 1111 days
- Rich Brown: Ozark Christian extending helping hand long after tornado’s impact 1113 days 1 Photo
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Joplin needs tornado-trauma break 1150 days
- Mike Pound: The fundraiser must go on 1151 days
- Mike Pound: Youngsters send messages of hope 1152 days
- Mike Pound: Hearing-aid office providing free service 1153 days
- Mike Pound: Stotts City man finds ‘air-mail’ delivery 1154 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Cash donations continue to flow 1151 days
- DONATE: Donation will be made to Joplin schools 1151 days
- DONATE: Minnesota firm raising funds for school libraries 1151 days
- DONATE:: Humphreys family makes large donation to rebuild Joplin schools, offers challenge grant 1152 days
- DONATE: Galena Days proceeds to go to Joplin tornado victims 1156 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- DONATE: Relief organizations establish separate funds for Joplin tornado victims 1136 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: FEMA cites list to guard against home-repair fraud 1137 days
- RESOURCE: Workshops planned to teach storm victims about possible scams 1137 days
- RESOURCE: Freeman issues update on patient accounts and physician locations 1138 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA registering households 1138 days