- May 2011 Joplin tornado
New members take seats on redevelopment board
Three new members took their places on the board of the Joplin Redevelopment Corp. in a meeting Thursday. The panel welcomed as new members Laurie Delano, vice president of finance for Empire District Electric Co.; Gary Duncan, retired president and chief executive of Freeman Health System; and Phil Stinnett, a former Joplin council member and mayor.
June 6, 2013
Tornado grant trustees look to shelter placement
Trustees overseeing a Joplin tornado fund hope to use some of their remaining money to move FEMA-financed tornado shelters to areas where they are needed.
June 6, 2013
Documentary about Joplin Globe coverage of tornado wins 2013 Mirror Award
The documentary “Deadline in Disaster” has won a 2013 Mirror Award in the “Best Single Story” category.
June 5, 2013
Oklahoma photo collection to begin with ‘Picture Patrol’
A new national photo rescue operation based in Carthage that formed to help salvage and return to owners what was lost in the Joplin tornado has reached out to Moore, Okla., and next week will help storm victims there get down to business.
May 31, 2013
Rebuild Joplin stages housewarming event
Thanks to volunteers from Rebuild Joplin, Bobby Burton has been able to call a house that has been in his family for more than 60 years home again.
May 28, 2013
Tornado exhibition book now on sale at Spiva
Many tornado survivors who shared messages of strength and resilience for last year’s “Dear World, From Joplin With Love” exhibit at Spiva Center for the Arts are sharing those same messages permanently in a book that is now on sale.
May 26, 2013 2 Photos
Joplin insurance agent seeks donations for Moore, Okla.
After losing an office building and her home in the tornado on May 22, 2011, Loretta Bailey is familiar with the destruction that a tornado brings. The 400 households that her insurance agency helped through the aftermath of the tornado also know that loss. \
May 24, 2013 1 Photo
Joplin team drove through storm to get to Moore
It was a long drive in the middle of a severe thunderstorm that had earlier produced a massive tornado in Moore, Okla. With the two-year anniversary of Joplin’s deadly twister approaching on Wednesday, a team of 14 Joplin emergency workers was ready to risk the trip in order to get help to a hurting Moore.
May 23, 2013
Federal, state leaders salute Joplin’s recovery
A deadly May twister may have punched a hole in Joplin and Duquesne two years ago, but the resolve to repair it will help other communities stand strong when they face similar disasters. That was the message of state and national diginitaries to a crowd of about 2,500 who observed the second anniversary of Joplin’s devastating May 22, 2011, storm during a ceremony Wednesday in Cunningham Park.
May 22, 2013 4 Photos
Banner from Joplin to be sent to Moore residents
A giant vinyl banner adorned with heartfelt messages from Joplin tornado survivors to the residents of Moore, Okla., became a centerpiece of Wednesday’s observance of the two-year anniversary of the May 22, 2011, tornado.
May 22, 2013 1 Photo
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- New members take seats on redevelopment board
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Carol Stark: Vision could be reality 980 days
- Kevin Wilson, guest columnist: Storm proves it really is small world 980 days
- Wally Kennedy: Landmark Frank's Lounge making comeback 980 days
- Joe Hadsall, Geeked Out: Home closings always stressful 981 days 1 Photo
- Charlotte Crum, columnist: Time will come for a return home 983 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Stotts City man finds ‘air-mail’ delivery 1019 days
- Mike Pound: 9-year-old’s small gesture stands tall 1020 days
- Mike Pound: When push comes to shove 1021 days
- Mike Pound: Laughing in face of disaster signals we’re not giving up 1022 days
- Mike Pound: Helping hands help restore hope 1023 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Galena Days proceeds to go to Joplin tornado victims 1021 days
- DONATE: Tulsa Community Foundation creates tornado fund 1023 days
- DONATE: Donations, large and small, raining down upon Joplin 1023 days
- DONATE: HOPE 4 You BCF donates to tornado relief fund 1023 days
- DONATE: More donations pour into Joplin 1024 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: FEMA registering households 1003 days
- RESOURCE: City to answer questions for residents today at noon session 1003 days
- RESOURCE: Plenty of pets are up for adoption, but potential families should ask questions 1003 days 2 Photos
- RESOURCE: Red Cross moves shelter, residents to Webb City 1005 days
- RESOURCE: Some banks waiving check-cashing fees for tornado victims 1006 days