- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Tornado fund seeks new grant applications
The Joplin Tornado First Response Fund has about $275,000 left to give out, but there were no applicants for its third round of grants. Chairman Phil Stinnett told the board on Monday that there was a public advertisement of the grant round but no one applied.
November 4, 2013
VIDEO: Rebuild Joplin effort started in basement of Illinois church
Housewarming parties don’t get much bigger or more enthusiastic than the one held for Emily Morrison on Thursday morning. As she stood in front of her new house at 1312 E. 24th St. in front of a large contingent of volunteers and well-wishers, she said that it was difficult to put into words what the last few months have meant to her.
September 26, 2013 2 Photos
Closing of Transform Joplin Warehouse marks milestone
Tornado recovery in Joplin reached an unofficial milestone with the announcement that Transform Joplin has closed “The Warehouse” at the corner of 12th Street and South Wall Avenue.
August 27, 2013
Applications for storm shelters available; first round is for mobile home parks
Applications are being taken by the city of Joplin for storm shelters that are available from the former temporary housing sites set up by the Federal Emergency Management Agency after the May 2011 tornado.
August 21, 2013
Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
Lost Photos of Joplin has scheduled several claim days in upcoming weeks, with the first of those set for 3 to 7 p.m. today at the Joplin Family Worship Center, 5290 E. Seventh St.
July 10, 2013
Big Brothers Big Sisters launches campaign with substantial donations
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jasper and Newton Counties is off to a promising start for its capital campaign to replace its office that was destroyed in the May 2011 tornado.
July 2, 2013
Donations helping JHS music programs rebuild after tornado
Building a repertoire for the Joplin School District’s orchestra program is a challenge for Kylee VanHorn. “Every time I get on the Internet and look at the music sites, there are so many pieces I want to purchase, and I just don’t have the money,” VanHorn said.
June 19, 2013 3 Photos
Illinois youth group arrives in Joplin to assemble house
Break time was approaching, but Keith Duncan wanted to make one last concentrated push in order to get the large Penske truck unloaded. “Two minutes, people! Two minutes!” he yelled as the students and adults hauling large wooden sections out of the truck began picking up the pace.
June 10, 2013 4 Photos
Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
For 19 months, rows of nearly 600 units spread out among community and commercial sites were a visual reminder of the homes lost in Joplin on May 22, 2011. One by one, contractors began disassembling and moving the trailers, a testament to their occupants having found places to live.
June 9, 2013 3 Photos
Civil engineers release study of Joplin tornado damage
It did not take much wind to flatten houses in the Joplin tornado zone because so many were poorly constructed to withstand wind, according to a study released recently by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
June 8, 2013 3 Photos
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Tornado fund seeks new grant applications
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Rich Brown: Ozark Christian extending helping hand long after tornado’s impact 1096 days 1 Photo
- Carol Stark: Vision could be reality 1096 days
- Kevin Wilson, guest columnist: Storm proves it really is small world 1096 days
- Wally Kennedy: Landmark Frank's Lounge making comeback 1097 days
- Joe Hadsall, Geeked Out: Home closings always stressful 1098 days 1 Photo
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Stotts City man finds ‘air-mail’ delivery 1136 days
- Mike Pound: 9-year-old’s small gesture stands tall 1137 days
- Mike Pound: When push comes to shove 1138 days
- Mike Pound: Laughing in face of disaster signals we’re not giving up 1139 days
- Mike Pound: Helping hands help restore hope 1140 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Galena Days proceeds to go to Joplin tornado victims 1138 days
- DONATE: Tulsa Community Foundation creates tornado fund 1139 days
- DONATE: Donations, large and small, raining down upon Joplin 1140 days
- DONATE: HOPE 4 You BCF donates to tornado relief fund 1140 days
- DONATE: More donations pour into Joplin 1140 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: FEMA registering households 1120 days
- RESOURCE: City to answer questions for residents today at noon session 1120 days
- RESOURCE: Plenty of pets are up for adoption, but potential families should ask questions 1120 days 2 Photos
- RESOURCE: Red Cross moves shelter, residents to Webb City 1122 days
- RESOURCE: Some banks waiving check-cashing fees for tornado victims 1123 days