- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
For 19 months, rows of nearly 600 units spread out among community and commercial sites were a visual reminder of the homes lost in Joplin on May 22, 2011. One by one, contractors began disassembling and moving the trailers, a testament to their occupants having found places to live.
June 9, 2013 3 Photos
Civil engineers release study of Joplin tornado damage
It did not take much wind to flatten houses in the Joplin tornado zone because so many were poorly constructed to withstand wind, according to a study released recently by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
June 8, 2013 3 Photos
Rescuers, tornado victims reunite at Quapaw station
There were lots of hugs exchanged, pictures taken and memories summoned when fire crews on Friday met the two youngsters they pulled, critically injured, from the wreckage of Joplin’s 2011 tornado.
June 7, 2013 3 Photos
Quapaw tribe’s firefighters, EMS personnel meet with children rescued at Home Depot in 2011
There were hugs, stories and the occasional tear this morning when two children who were trapped and seriously injured after the 2011 Joplin tornado met for the first time the Quapaw Tribe firefighters and emergency medical workers who pulled them from the wreckage and saved their lives that night.
June 7, 2013
New members take seats on redevelopment board
Three new members took their places on the board of the Joplin Redevelopment Corp. in a meeting Thursday. The panel welcomed as new members Laurie Delano, vice president of finance for Empire District Electric Co.; Gary Duncan, retired president and chief executive of Freeman Health System; and Phil Stinnett, a former Joplin council member and mayor.
June 6, 2013
Tornado grant trustees look to shelter placement
Trustees overseeing a Joplin tornado fund hope to use some of their remaining money to move FEMA-financed tornado shelters to areas where they are needed.
June 6, 2013
Documentary about Joplin Globe coverage of tornado wins 2013 Mirror Award
The documentary “Deadline in Disaster” has won a 2013 Mirror Award in the “Best Single Story” category.
June 5, 2013
Oklahoma photo collection to begin with ‘Picture Patrol’
A new national photo rescue operation based in Carthage that formed to help salvage and return to owners what was lost in the Joplin tornado has reached out to Moore, Okla., and next week will help storm victims there get down to business.
May 31, 2013
Rebuild Joplin stages housewarming event
Thanks to volunteers from Rebuild Joplin, Bobby Burton has been able to call a house that has been in his family for more than 60 years home again.
May 28, 2013
Tornado exhibition book now on sale at Spiva
Many tornado survivors who shared messages of strength and resilience for last year’s “Dear World, From Joplin With Love” exhibit at Spiva Center for the Arts are sharing those same messages permanently in a book that is now on sale.
May 26, 2013 2 Photos
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Kevin Wilson, guest columnist: Storm proves it really is small world 1013 days
- Wally Kennedy: Landmark Frank's Lounge making comeback 1013 days
- Joe Hadsall, Geeked Out: Home closings always stressful 1014 days 1 Photo
- Charlotte Crum, columnist: Time will come for a return home 1016 days
- Stephanie Denham, columnist: Weather changes like crazy, but volunteers are steadfast 1016 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: 9-year-old’s small gesture stands tall 1053 days
- Mike Pound: When push comes to shove 1054 days
- Mike Pound: Laughing in face of disaster signals we’re not giving up 1055 days
- Mike Pound: Helping hands help restore hope 1056 days
- Mike Pound: Heroic deeds, and now basic needs 1057 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Tulsa Community Foundation creates tornado fund 1056 days
- DONATE: Donations, large and small, raining down upon Joplin 1056 days
- DONATE: HOPE 4 You BCF donates to tornado relief fund 1056 days
- DONATE: More donations pour into Joplin 1057 days
- DONATE: More large donations given to Joplin relief 1057 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: City to answer questions for residents today at noon session 1036 days
- RESOURCE: Plenty of pets are up for adoption, but potential families should ask questions 1036 days 2 Photos
- RESOURCE: Red Cross moves shelter, residents to Webb City 1038 days
- RESOURCE: Some banks waiving check-cashing fees for tornado victims 1039 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA housing arrives at Crowder 1040 days 1 Photo