- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Jewish Disaster Response Corps
“Tikkun olam” is Hebrew for “repairing the world,” and the concept — of service to others, of helping those in need — is prevalent in Judaism.
May 18, 2013
Dorothy Maples always felt a calling to volunteer, whether it was participating in a fundraiser or giving a hand to help someone in need.
May 18, 2013
As he walked through the devastation left in the wake of the tornado, trying to lend a hand to people in need, the thought was there in the back of Charlie Brown’s mind.
May 18, 2013
Mennonite Disaster Service
They call it the theology of the hammer. It’s built on the idea that rebuilding a devastated area includes more than the physical labor of constructing houses — it also includes fellowship and friendship with the homeowner, the volunteers and everyone involved in the process.
May 18, 2013
John Williams and Mike Hamilton
Two Joplin residents have found that retirement is a lot of work. But John Williams and Mike Hamilton, who spend most of their weekdays volunteering with local nonprofit rebuilding organizations, probably wouldn’t have it any other way.
May 18, 2013 2 Photos
VIDEO: Nearly 2,300 take part in second Joplin Memorial Run
Having just cruised across the line to finish in first place in the Joplin Memorial Run’s half-marathon, Andrew Webb paused for a moment to catch his breath and take it all in.
May 18, 2013 1 Photo 1 Slideshow
Disaster response team to hold tornado memorial ride
A group of motorcycle enthusiasts who focus on disaster relief plan to hold a motorcycle ride through Joplin on the second anniversary of the May 22, 2011, tornado.
May 17, 2013 1 Photo
Interfaith service explores different faiths
The interfaith service, scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Sunday in Joplin’s Landreth Park, will explore the theme of “Different Faiths — One Community.’’ The community service is held around the anniversary of the May 22, 2011, tornado, but organizers say the focus is not specifically on the tornado.
May 17, 2013
St. Mary’s breaks ground to replace structures destroyed in 2011 tornado
Ground was broken symbolically Thursday to mark the beginning of a new chapter in the life of St. Mary’s parish in Joplin. “Our life is full of many chapters, and so is our parish,’’ said Bishop James Johnston, with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau.
May 16, 2013 1 Photo
Attorney general files suit against California contractor
Attorney General Chris Koster on Thursday filed a lawsuit against a California man, alleging he failed to provide construction materials and home repair services that had been paid for by victims of the Joplin tornado.
May 16, 2013
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Jewish Disaster Response Corps
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Kevin Wilson, guest columnist: Storm proves it really is small world 710 days
- Wally Kennedy: Landmark Frank's Lounge making comeback 711 days
- Joe Hadsall, Geeked Out: Home closings always stressful 712 days 1 Photo
- Charlotte Crum, columnist: Time will come for a return home 714 days
- Stephanie Denham, columnist: Weather changes like crazy, but volunteers are steadfast 714 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: 9-year-old’s small gesture stands tall 751 days
- Mike Pound: When push comes to shove 752 days
- Mike Pound: Laughing in face of disaster signals we’re not giving up 753 days
- Mike Pound: Helping hands help restore hope 754 days
- Mike Pound: Heroic deeds, and now basic needs 754 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Tulsa Community Foundation creates tornado fund 753 days
- DONATE: Donations, large and small, raining down upon Joplin 754 days
- DONATE: HOPE 4 You BCF donates to tornado relief fund 754 days
- DONATE: More donations pour into Joplin 754 days
- DONATE: More large donations given to Joplin relief 754 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: City to answer questions for residents today at noon session 734 days
- RESOURCE: Plenty of pets are up for adoption, but potential families should ask questions 734 days 2 Photos
- RESOURCE: Red Cross moves shelter, residents to Webb City 736 days
- RESOURCE: Some banks waiving check-cashing fees for tornado victims 737 days
- RESOURCE: FEMA housing arrives at Crowder 738 days 1 Photo