- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Quapaw tribe’s firefighters, EMS personnel meet with children rescued at Home Depot in 2011
There were hugs, stories and the occasional tear this morning when two children who were trapped and seriously injured after the 2011 Joplin tornado met for the first time the Quapaw Tribe firefighters and emergency medical workers who pulled them from the wreckage and saved their lives that night.
June 7, 2013
New members take seats on redevelopment board
Three new members took their places on the board of the Joplin Redevelopment Corp. in a meeting Thursday. The panel welcomed as new members Laurie Delano, vice president of finance for Empire District Electric Co.; Gary Duncan, retired president and chief executive of Freeman Health System; and Phil Stinnett, a former Joplin council member and mayor.
June 6, 2013
Tornado grant trustees look to shelter placement
Trustees overseeing a Joplin tornado fund hope to use some of their remaining money to move FEMA-financed tornado shelters to areas where they are needed.
June 6, 2013
Documentary about Joplin Globe coverage of tornado wins 2013 Mirror Award
The documentary “Deadline in Disaster” has won a 2013 Mirror Award in the “Best Single Story” category.
June 5, 2013
Oklahoma photo collection to begin with ‘Picture Patrol’
A new national photo rescue operation based in Carthage that formed to help salvage and return to owners what was lost in the Joplin tornado has reached out to Moore, Okla., and next week will help storm victims there get down to business.
May 31, 2013
Rebuild Joplin stages housewarming event
Thanks to volunteers from Rebuild Joplin, Bobby Burton has been able to call a house that has been in his family for more than 60 years home again.
May 28, 2013
Tornado exhibition book now on sale at Spiva
Many tornado survivors who shared messages of strength and resilience for last year’s “Dear World, From Joplin With Love” exhibit at Spiva Center for the Arts are sharing those same messages permanently in a book that is now on sale.
May 26, 2013 2 Photos
Joplin insurance agent seeks donations for Moore, Okla.
After losing an office building and her home in the tornado on May 22, 2011, Loretta Bailey is familiar with the destruction that a tornado brings. The 400 households that her insurance agency helped through the aftermath of the tornado also know that loss. \
May 24, 2013 1 Photo
Joplin team drove through storm to get to Moore
It was a long drive in the middle of a severe thunderstorm that had earlier produced a massive tornado in Moore, Okla. With the two-year anniversary of Joplin’s deadly twister approaching on Wednesday, a team of 14 Joplin emergency workers was ready to risk the trip in order to get help to a hurting Moore.
May 23, 2013
Federal, state leaders salute Joplin’s recovery
A deadly May twister may have punched a hole in Joplin and Duquesne two years ago, but the resolve to repair it will help other communities stand strong when they face similar disasters. That was the message of state and national diginitaries to a crowd of about 2,500 who observed the second anniversary of Joplin’s devastating May 22, 2011, storm during a ceremony Wednesday in Cunningham Park.
May 22, 2013 4 Photos
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Quapaw tribe’s firefighters, EMS personnel meet with children rescued at Home Depot in 2011
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- VIDEO: Joplin visitor's video details Joplin weeks after the storm 710 days
- VIDEO: Joplin tornado large enough that it had eye 716 days 1 Photo
- VIDEO: YouTube video producers document damage 723 days 1 Photo
- GALLERY: Chiefs arrive to help Joplin 725 days 7 Photos
- Social media served as disaster outlet 727 days
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Wally Kennedy: Walgreen’s to reopen both stores Monday 667 days
- Roger Nomer: Image a ‘revelation’ for photographer 668 days 1 Photo
- Jo Ellis: Small deeds will make a big impact 673 days
- Andra Bryan Stefanoni: Safe room will always be reminder of May 22 673 days
- Sarah Sticklen: Lessons learned: Remain faithful, move forward 674 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Winning teams in place before the tornado struck 677 days
- Mike Pound: Group comes together for mother, child 697 days
- Mike Pound: There is no stopping the St. Mary’s backers 698 days
- Mike Pound: Mother of storm victims getting by ‘day by day’ 699 days
- Mike Pound: How can we thank all those who have helped Joplin? 704 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Joplin schools receive donations 690 days
- DONATE: Joplin looks to replant state tree after tornado 690 days
- DONATE: Tornado photos to raise money, awareness 692 days
- Kansas City singer’s return to Joplin includes three benefits 696 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Tickets available for ‘Restore Fest’ 697 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: Governor says state will pay any cleanup costs FEMA does not 683 days
- RESOURCE: Teams deliver ‘psychological first aid’ on the street 689 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: Disaster Center to relocate; Friday is registration deadline 690 days
- RESOURCE: Joplin schools celebrate success of Adopt-an-Eagle 697 days
- RESOURCE: Gov. Nixon unveils $122 million program on housing for Joplin 699 days 1 Photo