- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Tornado fund seeks new grant applications
The Joplin Tornado First Response Fund has about $275,000 left to give out, but there were no applicants for its third round of grants. Chairman Phil Stinnett told the board on Monday that there was a public advertisement of the grant round but no one applied.
November 4, 2013
VIDEO: Rebuild Joplin effort started in basement of Illinois church
Housewarming parties don’t get much bigger or more enthusiastic than the one held for Emily Morrison on Thursday morning. As she stood in front of her new house at 1312 E. 24th St. in front of a large contingent of volunteers and well-wishers, she said that it was difficult to put into words what the last few months have meant to her.
September 26, 2013 2 Photos
Closing of Transform Joplin Warehouse marks milestone
Tornado recovery in Joplin reached an unofficial milestone with the announcement that Transform Joplin has closed “The Warehouse” at the corner of 12th Street and South Wall Avenue.
August 27, 2013
Applications for storm shelters available; first round is for mobile home parks
Applications are being taken by the city of Joplin for storm shelters that are available from the former temporary housing sites set up by the Federal Emergency Management Agency after the May 2011 tornado.
August 21, 2013
Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
Lost Photos of Joplin has scheduled several claim days in upcoming weeks, with the first of those set for 3 to 7 p.m. today at the Joplin Family Worship Center, 5290 E. Seventh St.
July 10, 2013
Big Brothers Big Sisters launches campaign with substantial donations
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jasper and Newton Counties is off to a promising start for its capital campaign to replace its office that was destroyed in the May 2011 tornado.
July 2, 2013
Donations helping JHS music programs rebuild after tornado
Building a repertoire for the Joplin School District’s orchestra program is a challenge for Kylee VanHorn. “Every time I get on the Internet and look at the music sites, there are so many pieces I want to purchase, and I just don’t have the money,” VanHorn said.
June 19, 2013 3 Photos
Illinois youth group arrives in Joplin to assemble house
Break time was approaching, but Keith Duncan wanted to make one last concentrated push in order to get the large Penske truck unloaded. “Two minutes, people! Two minutes!” he yelled as the students and adults hauling large wooden sections out of the truck began picking up the pace.
June 10, 2013 4 Photos
Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
For 19 months, rows of nearly 600 units spread out among community and commercial sites were a visual reminder of the homes lost in Joplin on May 22, 2011. One by one, contractors began disassembling and moving the trailers, a testament to their occupants having found places to live.
June 9, 2013 3 Photos
Civil engineers release study of Joplin tornado damage
It did not take much wind to flatten houses in the Joplin tornado zone because so many were poorly constructed to withstand wind, according to a study released recently by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
June 8, 2013 3 Photos
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Tornado fund seeks new grant applications
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- VIDEO: Joplin visitor's video details Joplin weeks after the storm 885 days
- VIDEO: Joplin tornado large enough that it had eye 891 days 1 Photo
- VIDEO: YouTube video producers document damage 898 days 1 Photo
- GALLERY: Chiefs arrive to help Joplin 900 days 7 Photos
- Social media served as disaster outlet 902 days
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Wally Kennedy: Walgreen’s to reopen both stores Monday 842 days
- Roger Nomer: Image a ‘revelation’ for photographer 843 days 1 Photo
- Jo Ellis: Small deeds will make a big impact 848 days
- Andra Bryan Stefanoni: Safe room will always be reminder of May 22 848 days
- Sarah Sticklen: Lessons learned: Remain faithful, move forward 849 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: Winning teams in place before the tornado struck 852 days
- Mike Pound: Group comes together for mother, child 872 days
- Mike Pound: There is no stopping the St. Mary’s backers 873 days
- Mike Pound: Mother of storm victims getting by ‘day by day’ 874 days
- Mike Pound: How can we thank all those who have helped Joplin? 879 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Joplin schools receive donations 865 days
- DONATE: Joplin looks to replant state tree after tornado 865 days
- DONATE: Tornado photos to raise money, awareness 867 days
- Kansas City singer’s return to Joplin includes three benefits 871 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Tickets available for ‘Restore Fest’ 872 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: Governor says state will pay any cleanup costs FEMA does not 858 days
- RESOURCE: Teams deliver ‘psychological first aid’ on the street 864 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: Disaster Center to relocate; Friday is registration deadline 865 days
- RESOURCE: Joplin schools celebrate success of Adopt-an-Eagle 872 days
- RESOURCE: Gov. Nixon unveils $122 million program on housing for Joplin 874 days 1 Photo