- May 2011 Joplin tornado
Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
Lost Photos of Joplin has scheduled several claim days in upcoming weeks, with the first of those set for 3 to 7 p.m. today at the Joplin Family Worship Center, 5290 E. Seventh St.
July 10, 2013
Big Brothers Big Sisters launches campaign with substantial donations
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Jasper and Newton Counties is off to a promising start for its capital campaign to replace its office that was destroyed in the May 2011 tornado.
July 2, 2013
Donations helping JHS music programs rebuild after tornado
Building a repertoire for the Joplin School District’s orchestra program is a challenge for Kylee VanHorn. “Every time I get on the Internet and look at the music sites, there are so many pieces I want to purchase, and I just don’t have the money,” VanHorn said.
June 19, 2013 3 Photos
Illinois youth group arrives in Joplin to assemble house
Break time was approaching, but Keith Duncan wanted to make one last concentrated push in order to get the large Penske truck unloaded. “Two minutes, people! Two minutes!” he yelled as the students and adults hauling large wooden sections out of the truck began picking up the pace.
June 10, 2013 4 Photos
Last of 586 FEMA trailers in Joplin to be prepared for move
For 19 months, rows of nearly 600 units spread out among community and commercial sites were a visual reminder of the homes lost in Joplin on May 22, 2011. One by one, contractors began disassembling and moving the trailers, a testament to their occupants having found places to live.
June 9, 2013 3 Photos
Civil engineers release study of Joplin tornado damage
It did not take much wind to flatten houses in the Joplin tornado zone because so many were poorly constructed to withstand wind, according to a study released recently by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
June 8, 2013 3 Photos
Rescuers, tornado victims reunite at Quapaw station
There were lots of hugs exchanged, pictures taken and memories summoned when fire crews on Friday met the two youngsters they pulled, critically injured, from the wreckage of Joplin’s 2011 tornado.
June 7, 2013 3 Photos
Quapaw tribe’s firefighters, EMS personnel meet with children rescued at Home Depot in 2011
There were hugs, stories and the occasional tear this morning when two children who were trapped and seriously injured after the 2011 Joplin tornado met for the first time the Quapaw Tribe firefighters and emergency medical workers who pulled them from the wreckage and saved their lives that night.
June 7, 2013
New members take seats on redevelopment board
Three new members took their places on the board of the Joplin Redevelopment Corp. in a meeting Thursday. The panel welcomed as new members Laurie Delano, vice president of finance for Empire District Electric Co.; Gary Duncan, retired president and chief executive of Freeman Health System; and Phil Stinnett, a former Joplin council member and mayor.
June 6, 2013
Tornado grant trustees look to shelter placement
Trustees overseeing a Joplin tornado fund hope to use some of their remaining money to move FEMA-financed tornado shelters to areas where they are needed.
June 6, 2013
- More May 2011 Joplin tornado Headlines
- Lost Photos group slates claim days for July, August
- Purchase Globe Photos
- Featured Ads
- Tornado: Multimedia coverage
- Social media served as disaster outlet 898 days
- MULTIMEDIA: Globe blogger catches American flags amidst tornado wreckage 905 days
- AP INTERACTIVE: A slideshow of Joplin tornado victims 907 days
- VIDEO: Desperate moments as spotters watched storm build 915 days 1 Photo
- VIDEO: Pres. Obama speaks at tornado victim's memorial service 921 days
- Tornado: Obituaries
- Tornado: Columns
- Sarah Sticklen: Lessons learned: Remain faithful, move forward 845 days
- Wally Kennedy: Cici’s Pizza in hopes of rebuilding at same location 845 days
- Sarah Coyne: First day of school emotional 847 days 1 Photo
- Carol Stark: Joplin tornado redefines mission of newspapers 851 days
- Wally Kennedy: Southtown Sporting Goods down, but not out 852 days
- Tornado: Mike Pound
- Mike Pound: How can we thank all those who have helped Joplin? 875 days
- Mike Pound: Good people everywhere keep on giving 876 days
- Mike Pound: Chests of Hope gives kids something to smile about 877 days
- Mike Pound: You have to balance the horrific with the humane 883 days
- Mike Pound: Legionnaires receive help for storm victims 884 days
- Tornado: Donate & volunteer
- DONATE: Tickets available for ‘Restore Fest’ 868 days
- DONATE: Bright Futures receives donation 868 days
- DONATE: Food pantry supplier calls for help 869 days
- DONATE: Ray’s Boathouse nets money for Joplin; Seattle chefs have ties to Joplin 869 days 1 Photo
- DONATE: Freeman donates $25,000 each to Joplin public, Catholic schools 875 days
- Tornado: Resources & relief
- RESOURCE: Gov. Nixon unveils $122 million program on housing for Joplin 870 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: Salvation Army opens cooling station 870 days
- RESOURCE: Governor Nixon pledges home-rebuilding aid in Joplin 870 days
- RESOURCE: Workshop to focus on fraud, Information to help protect homeowners against swindlers 870 days 1 Photo
- RESOURCE: Empire establishes $100,000 fund to help tornado-impacted customers 881 days