From staff reports
Alec Belden and Austin Cueva earned two championships apiece Friday during the annual Joplin Junior Open tennis tournament at the Joplin Athletic Complex.
Belden defeated Gehret Staib 6-0, 6-2 in the boys 18-under singles final, and he teamed with Zac Cox to win the 18-under doubles crown with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Blake McIntosh-Zac Taylor.
Cueva triumphed in two age divisions.
He beat Samuel Willcoxen 6-4, 6-3 in the12-under singles final.
In 14-under doubles, Cueva and Alex Mailes downed Parker Nesbitt-Nathan Moore 6-0, 6-0 in the final match.
Garret Lewis captured the boys 10-under singles title, beating Nicholas Mailes 6-3, 6-0 in the final.
Lauren Schoen and Devon Johnson earned girls singles championships.
Schoen beat Lexi Willcoxen 6-1, 6-3 in 18-under, and Johnson defeated Claire cox 6-4, 6-4 in 14-under.
Competition in the adult divisions of the Joplin Open begins today and ends Sunday.
From staff reports
DIAMOND, MO - Billie Brian McPherson, 65, a welder, passed away Thursday, November 25, 2021. No services are planned at this time. Arrangements are under the direction of Parker Mortuary, Joplin.
JOPLIN, MO - Terry Gene Deremo, 63, a heat and air maintenance technician for Indigo Sky Casino, passed away Saturday, November 27, 2021. Memorial graveside services will be at 10 a.m. Monday at Mt. Hope Cemetery.
NEOSHO, MO - Lois Irene Elderton, 97, a retiree of Crane's Plumbing and Electric, passed away Saturday, November 27, 2021. Private services were held. Arrangements are under the direction of Clark Funeral Home, Neosho.
- Diane Dimond: Kyle Rittenhouse now due another sort of justice
- Where does Roaring River water come from?
- Woman recounts years of abuse as child at rural Joplin man's trial
- Duck-billed dinosaur may be one of many at Missouri site
- Fourth-ranked Webb City rides hot start to upset win over top-ranked Jackson
- Cost of natural gas to double this winter for Spire customers
- Michigan teen charged in Oxford High School shooting
- Missouri announces first omicron case
- Holt's Place, Joplin's Linden come full circle following kidney transplant
- Thanksgiving tradition: Cardinals ready for state semifinal tilt against top-ranked Jackson